RideDirt

Go with Park Toolkit 38 piece or ?

I can get a decent deal on tha park took 38 piece kit but i have my own screwdrivers , allen keys , hex keys etc ... Basically i want the essential tools that i can tear down my bike and rebuild it and do my own work . Should i just buy a few things here and there or would this kit be plenty to do what im looking to do ?

mtbr member
    Do you mean a AK-37 Advanced Mechanic Tool Kit ? about $250 on amazon?

I like having all my bike tools in one box. I own this toolbox.

It depends how many tools you already have. List and price the tools you need/want and buy what ever is cheaper (toolbox or individual tools). Many find it better to buy tools one at at time when you need them.

Toolbox or tools has been done a few times. Do a search. eg Home Toolset?
    Last edited by mitzikatzi; 01-12-2013 at 11:26 PM.
    Duct tape iz like teh Force. It has a Lite side and a Dark side and it holdz the Universe together.

RideDirt
    Thanks , yes thats the toolkit i was talking about . Well considering i used to wrench on my own cars and build up cars i have enough tools in that aspect . As far as the bike goes , it looks like that kit has pretty much everything needed to tear the bike down and rebuild it . Ive read up on here , but i was just more curious if the people that have this toolkit is happy with it .

Well i went and ordered it anyways , it seemed like a good deal for 250 shipped for everything. Can never have enough tools right ?

mtbr member
    Congrats on your new tools! The thing I've never liked about Park Tool Kits.....(not knocking Park Tools, I own all Park), Is the kits seem to have redundancy, and many wasteful, uneccesary items. Unless you have really low end open ball bearing hubs, or work on other peoples bikes, you most likely won't use those cone wrenches. None of the BB tools are socket style, which I think are superior, and a BBT19 is conspicuously missing. The chain cleaner, patch kit, tire boot and levers are better from other brands, and other useful tools could have taken their place....Power link pliers, 1 inch socket, etc.
    Congrats on getting tools to wrench your own stuff though! Be warned, Bike Tools become just as addictive as components.

RideDirt
    haha thanks ! Yea i mean there was about half of the stuff in the kit i didnt need , but you know how tools go , its never enough . Always good to have some spare tools i guess right ? Yea i guess this will be the first wave of tools , then next purchase will be more techy i guess .. Yea i dont have a low end build so everything on my bike is pretty baller :P

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    I've never been a fan of the tool kits since you always end up with tools you don't need. Just piecing things together as you go has worked much better for me.

mtbr member
    Man, didn't we just have a few of these threads last month? If you were a new guy and had no tools I'd maybe suggest a tool kit....but if you don't even need half of the tools in that kit why would you ever buy it? Like stated by ghettocop, there's a lot of sh*t in that kit that isn't very good. You could have spent a lot less on more tools, or gotten A LOT more tools for the same price...
    Mountain bikers who don't road ride have no legs...
    Road riders who don't mountain bike have no soul...

RideDirt
    Should of would of could of! Lol is all good guys, no big deal. . I think it's alright for a starter kit. I will just buy more stuff, not to worried about the price since I only need a few more things.

Picture Unrelated
    Quote Originally Posted by aedubber View Post
    Should of would of could of! Lol is all good guys, no big deal. . I think it's alright for a starter kit. I will just buy more stuff, not to worried about the price since I only need a few more things.
    It's a totally decent starting point, you probably made the right call. It's nice not to be halfway into a teardown when you realize that you don't have a cassette tool or something like that. At least this way you can anticipate to have most of the tools you would need for day to day work on a bike.
    Don't you hate it when a sentence doesn't end the way you think it octopus?

Plays with tools
    Quote Originally Posted by sasquatch rides a SS View Post
    Man, didn't we just have a few of these threads last month? If you were a new guy and had no tools I'd maybe suggest a tool kit....but if you don't even need half of the tools in that kit why would you ever buy it? Like stated by ghettocop, there's a lot of sh*t in that kit that isn't very good. You could have spent a lot less on more tools, or gotten A LOT more tools for the same price...
    We get a few of these threads every month.

My biggest reason for avoiding kits is that no single tool manufacture makes the best of everything. I'm down to one park tool (master link pliers) in my box and a set of Pedros cone wrenches. Everything else is either custom or from more reputable tool brands.

RideDirt
    Well I'm only familiar with Park tools be the better tools? I haven't had experience with any bike tools so I decided to go with what was popular I guess. Granted I have my own tools from building my cars .

What are the more reputable brands?

MC MasterShake
    OK. Forgo the toolkit but what do you guys use for a toolbox? The one thing I really like about toolkits is the box that has a place for everything. I'm a pretty messy dude so my box has tools all over the place and it ends up getting no-bike tools in it and it's way too heavy to even carry it in the car when I go on trips. So I'd like to get some sort of tool organizer for my existing tools so I can actually find them and travel with them when needed.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Do it

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Make a list of what you need/want and have a savings amt set up for tools. Buy what you can afford but always buy the best made, even if you have to get used.

I have many many Snapon tools that are 50 plus years old that are much better then the best made today and I still use them regularly.

You will never have enough or good enough tooling.
    I LOVE ORANGE keep them coming, if I wanted to change I would have done it 50-60 years ago....