hehe ...you said "member"

Glueless patches?

Any feedback on glueless patches? I've only used the standard ones, but was recently bitten by a dried up tube of the vulcanizing glue on a ride.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    I believe the glueless patches tend to dry out quicker but I don't have any experience with them.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jake7
    Any feedback on glueless patches? I've only used the standard ones, but was recently bitten by a dried up tube of the vulcanizing glue on a ride.
    stick w/ the vulcanized type, glueless aren't nearly as reliable, but are a good 'quick fix'... every one I've tried (~10 over the yrs) has come off after a not so long period of time.
    [SIZE=1][/SIZE]

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Mine were a wast e of skin. Two blocks. Carry a tube.

mtbr member

basically..

they are worthless. Tried them once and they failed. Stick with the traditional stuff.

hehe ...you said "member"
    Thanks for the feedback ... you've hopefully saved me a hike

uofabill
    Aug 2003
    The only thing I've found that glueless patches worked for was to patcha leak in a hydration bladder. They're no good on tubes!

mtbr member

Good job! They seem to work just fine for me.

I don't use patches very often. Only when I don't have or have already used my spare tube(s). What I carry as patches is the 3m glueless. They are the only ones that have been in my camelbak since I had the solid tube of rubber cement incident. These patches have never failed before I got back to the trailhead. They might not be as reliable as the good old-fashioned kind but I can't imagine they wouldn't "get you home". Now granted as soon as I get home(or remember) I swap that tube with the patch to the trash and stick a new one in. I get the most flats on my commuter bike(damn goatheads around town) I have ridden for several weeks with a patched tube and not had any problems. Give them a try they sure are convenient.
    Everytime that wheel turn round
    bound to cover just a little more ground!

Student
    i have been using the regular kind, if its not broke dont fix it, the regular ones work just fine so why change
    [SIZE="3"]The secret to mountain biking is pretty simple. The slower you go the more likely it is you'll crash. ~Julie Furtado[/SIZE]

mtbr member
    I used the 3m glueless and they failed me miserably! they seem to attach great and look good, but when the tube is in the tire and full of air, I lose air! i take the tube out, check for leaks, and can't find any... and if i do find them, its always coming from the patches.

stick to the vulcanizing

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    They work fine to get home but they tend to leak with time.
    If you are going to take the time to remove the tire, use a vulcanizing patch.

mtbr member

Rema Patches

It's all about Rema Patches simpley the best. http://www.worldclasscycles.com/rema_products.htm
    All I wanted was a Pepsi, just one Pepsi

Reviewer/Tester

Good job! Rema..

Simply ... the best.

R.
    It is inevitable ...

dirty hippy mountainbiker
    the wavy edges are festive too. Like, Hurray!!!!! I've popped a tube!!!!!!

-M
    Mike Henderson, Dirty Hippy Mountain Biker and part owner of Jet Lites.

mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    Glueless patches work great..... as a temporary fix. Like others have stated here, glueless patches leak sometimes fast, sometimes slow but they leak. Like you stated here i too got tired of dried up tubes of glue and only carry glueless patches on the trail, when i get home i peel it off and use a good old glue-on patch.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by wolfy
    the wavy edges are festive too. Like, Hurray!!!!! I've popped a tube!!!!!!

-M
    The wavy edges help provide optimal adhesion for the glue.

Life is Good
    I've used Park Tool glueless patches for about a year now and they work well enough. Well enough to get me home so I can install a fresh tube, anyways.

I have, however, ridden on tubes patched with glueless patches for months at a time. Try the Park Tools.
    Get a bicycle. You will not regret it if you live. ~Mark Twain

mtbr member

I use park tool

I carry a tube as well, i hate walking home 5 miles. if I get a second flat I use the patch. They get me home every time. if it still leeks I toss the tube and put on a new one, but I'v use tubes patched with the parktool patch for months, every day 18 miles to work and back.

willtsmith_nwi

Temporary at best ...

They are temporary at best. If it wasn't for the pressure of the tube against the tire casing ... they would not work at all. Duct tape might serve you just as well.

Carry a couple of spares and patches as a backup. Better yet, run will oversized downhill tubes and don't flat at all ;-)

mtbr member

Another vote for Park Tool

Quote Originally Posted by edmoloco
    I carry a tube as well, i hate walking home 5 miles. if I get a second flat I use the patch. They get me home every time. if it still leeks I toss the tube and put on a new one, but I'v use tubes patched with the parktool patch for months, every day 18 miles to work and back.

I carry them as a back up for my spare tube in my camelbak. Used them a few times on the trails and they work well. Occasionally one will be leaky and if thats the case ill replace the tube. Also used some patches called Leaches, also very good.
    "to finish first you first must finish" - Mike Hailwood