2006 Yeti AS-X

Ghost Shift Madness

Bought a 2011 Trek Fuel EX5 back in 2011 and ever since I purchased the bike right from the first ride all the way until now, it ghost shifts in rear gear #2 and #5.

I have taken this bike dozens upon dozens of times to the bike shop and they have done everything from adjust the rear derailleur up to replacing every component on the drivetrain (shifters, cassettes, derailleur, hangar, cables, cable housings) and even shipping the bike to Trek only for Trek to send the bike back saying it was good to go and finding out 1/4 mile into the ride that it was still doing it.

So Trek says not an issue with the frame and LBS states all drivetrain parts have been replaced....God knows only what is doing it. They weren't confident in Trek's response on the bike.

Anyone care to take a gander?
    I don't use Strava. Don't need an application to tell me I am slow because I already know.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    bent frame?

bent hanger?

try a full length cable and housing (so frame movement will not effect the cable)
    good ski/bike deals at www.mntlion.com

My life is better than your vacation.

Plays with tools
    I assume the chain has been replaced in an effort to eliminate this problem?

I'd look at cable stops , see if there's one that's loose or broke. What kind of drivetrain are you dealing with? Quality of cable and housing can make a huge impact as well, something primo could make the difference.

2006 Yeti AS-X
    Yes they put in a new chain and new cables and housings. The LBS even stated they were stumped.
    I don't use Strava. Don't need an application to tell me I am slow because I already know.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    sometimes full length can help, as it eliminates most of the frame flex issues from the system
    good ski/bike deals at www.mntlion.com

My life is better than your vacation.

Trail Tire TV on blogger
    bent hanger...
    Going to try and bring Trail Tire TV back. go take a look... http://trailtiretv.blogspot.com/

mtbr member
    Right on thom. Have a different shop take a look and use tool to determine if hanger is bent. Or. Just replace it...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk
    fill what's empty, empty what's full, and scratch where it itches.

Trail Tire TV on blogger
    Quote Originally Posted by Serotta b1kr View Post
    Right on thom. Have a different shop take a look and use tool to determine if hanger is bent. Or. Just replace it...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk
    even new ones need a hanger alignment tool put on them.. many times modern frames will be slightly out do to shipping, bad welding,. just plan mass production setup. probably why it's been bad since day one.

personally, I'd just buy the tool.. it's a life time thing and will save you frustration and $$$ to the shops for ever...
    Going to try and bring Trail Tire TV back. go take a look... http://trailtiretv.blogspot.com/

~ B A D A S S ~
    You need a bike exorcist!
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.

Quote Originally Posted by iheartbicycles View Post
    Specialized sucks ass.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by car bone View Post
    You need a bike exorcist!

No kidding!

It's hard for me to believe that any shop would go to the extraordinary lengths described by the OP and not check the hanger (probably several times!) but I guess weirder things have happened. That's the first I've heard tell of a shop sending an entire bike back to the manufacture to diagnose a shifting problem.

I've nothing against split housing but if I were on this job I would run full length (as a test) just to eliminate any potential issues between the shifter and derailleur.

2006 Yeti AS-X
    They did replace the hangar too. They did admit they didn't have the right hangar tool as the 2011 Trek EX5 the setup they have on the rear frame wouldn't allow their tool to properly fit. So they put a new hangar in and yep...still does it.

Trail Tire TV on blogger
    Quote Originally Posted by Lawson Raider View Post
    They did replace the hangar too. They did admit they didn't have the right hangar tool as the 2011 Trek EX5 the setup they have on the rear frame wouldn't allow their tool to properly fit. So they put a new hangar in and yep...still does it.
    ummm there's nothing special about the hanger on that bike..

Plays with tools
    Quote Originally Posted by Lawson Raider View Post
    Yes they put in a new chain and new cables and housings. The LBS even stated they were stumped.
    New housing and cables wouldn't do anything if the stop itself was loose. When they are loose or broken they move and it affects cable tension, which in turn creates problems that are hard to track down.

Quote Originally Posted by thomllama View Post
    ummm there's nothing special about the hanger on that bike..
    The frame encroaches on the hanger and creates clearance issues with some hanger tools. The classic DAG 1 most shops have won't work on a hand full of frames, like this one.

So if the shop didn't check the hanger once the new one is installed it could still be bent and the cause of the problem. The hanger is only as straight as what it's bolted to. As mentioned above new hangers should always be verified once installed.

I assume everything is compatible? You sure you don't have shifter or derailleur that's mis matched on accident?

2006 Yeti AS-X
    The hangar adjustment tool they had had a very hard time with the clearance due to how the 2011 EX5's rear end is setup (cannot put it exactly in technical terms but the setup limited the space they could manuever the tool).

Yes. The bike came standard with SRAM X5 and they even put the SRAM X9 shifters and rear derailleur on it - even with that the ghost shift didn't go away.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012

Re: Ghost Shift Madness

That alignment gauge issue can be entirely meditated with a cut down washer.

mtbr member
    One more thought to throw into the mix -- if you are still having the problem. Check your cable routing, especially along the rear triangle. You need a little slack in the cable routing to account for the rear suspension travel.