mtbr member
    Jul 2008

Front Wheel Click

I am hoping someone can help me with ideas to stop a clicking sound in the front wheel. It sounds a lot like a rock caught in your tire (but there isn't). It's once per revolution. I have checked the wheel speed sensor (moved the magnet to the end of the spoke) and that wasn't it. If I am coasting I still hear it. If I apply the (disc) brakes very slightly I still hear it. I got a flat on my first ride and the LBS repaired it for me. Could it be the patch? Or something in the hub, or maybe a loose spoke? That's all I can think of. It's driving me crazy. Any ideas? I'd like to see if I can fix myself because I'm sure it is something easy.

ups and downs
    It's likely either a spoke nipple that was lost inside the rim during assembly and finally came loose from where it was stuck, or it's part of the pin assembly that holds the rim in alignment before it's welded or joined together. It's an annoying thing and more common than you'd hope.

You would need to take the tire and rim strip off and shake the wheel around until the piece finds its way to the bottom so you can get a look at it and see if it's small enough to extract through a spoke or valve hole. If it isn't small enough to remove through a spoke or valve hole your only hope is to glue it into place with a dab of glue (preferably between two spoke holes).

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    So if I understand you right, the rim is actually 2 layers with a void in between and there is something stuck / loose in between the layers? Great. That sounds easy. I thought rims were one pc, but I have been out of biking for a while.

If that is true with the 2 layers, should I return it to the LBS and have them get me a new rim?

FYI, this is on a GF X-Cal with stock rims (Bont. Rythym 29) and tubes.

ups and downs
    If it's still under warranty I'd have the LBS take care of it.

This is a pretty typical rim section
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Ack. Well, ok, thanks. At least I have a likely diagnosis.

I'd agree with rockyuphill as to the likely cause of a noise like that. First time it happened to me it drove me nuts as I had never considered something like that (a Mavic rim where the pin assembly came loose). Easy enough to fix with a bit of glue, though.
    "...the people get the government they deserve..."
    suum quique

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    A really loose spoke will also click once per revolution. Just pluck each spoke to check that out.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by gmcttr
    A really loose spoke will also click once per revolution. Just pluck each spoke to check that out.
    I think I checked that but I will make sure I check it again. Thanks for the suggestion!

zeb
    mtbr member
    May 2006
    My Mavic UST 819 had piece of metal loosen and making click sound.It was just where welding joint is.(some support part to help manufacturing process?)I could see it moving thru the large nipple holes of UST rim(tunnel).I had to take wheel apart to locate that sound,UST rim is easier to find that clicker.
    I am still waiting to have new rim as warranty(2 months at the moment)It is clearly a manufacturing failure.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008

Similar front wheel click

I'm having a similar clicking sound from my front wheel. Brand new HiFi... clicks at the same point in each wheel revolution. It only does it when I have weight on the wheel - it won't make a sound if I lift the wheel and just spin it.

I thought it might be a loose spoke, but that doesn't seem to be the case.

Does this sound like a loose spoke nipple or something similar? I'd think that it would still make the noise when un-weighted if that was the case...

It's really annoying...

human dehumidifier
    Quote Originally Posted by zeb
    My Mavic UST 819 had piece of metal loosen and making click sound.It was just where welding joint is.(some support part to help manufacturing process?)I could see it moving thru the large nipple holes of UST rim(tunnel).I had to take wheel apart to locate that sound,UST rim is easier to find that clicker.
    I am still waiting to have new rim as warranty(2 months at the moment)It is clearly a manufacturing failure.
    The next one you get will do the same thing I bought 717s and they had the click right out of the box, but since I read the reviews here, I was expecting it.
    I may or may not be laughing at you.