mtbr member
    Mar 2007

Freehub bearings replacement?

I took apart my '08 Roval wheels (DT Swiss hubs) to service for the first time since I bought the bike new in '08 and the bearings in the freehub body feel rough. Is it worth replacing the entire freehub or should I just replace the bearings? they appear to be cartridge style.

thanks

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    you can replace just the bearings. if the body is grooved and gouged up from cassettes you may consider the whole body. bearings are probably 20 plus labor. the body is like 90-100

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    You don't need to spend an arm and a leg for high end bearings on a bike. Compared to other machines, bikes are low revolution, no where near what other types of machines put on bearings. Ceramic is all hype. You can get good quality Abic5 sealed bearings for around $8 to $15 a piece for 6902, 608, 6001 ,etc.. But getting them put in does require a good quality tool. Wheelsmfg home handles can be had for around $30 off Ebay, as well as their ID 10mm Drift set you can find for $50 on Ebay from one of the Ebay stores. So I'd suggest buy the tool since it cost about what the shop charges, and you'll have the tools for the future. You can even recoup some of the cost by charging to do some one elses for less than the shop

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    I just picked up this set - Amazon.com: Wheels Manufacturing Hub Bearing Installation Drift Set, 10mm: Sports & Outdoors for $18
    With this press - Amazon.com: Wheels Manufacturing Economy Bearing Press: Sports & Outdoors for $18
    $36 and change with Amazon prime. The deals are out there if you can find them.