Thread: Frame spreader?

mtbr member
    Oct 2009

Frame spreader?

I've got a really tight fit in my swingarm where it meets the frame at the main pivot (full suspension bike). Anyone know of a small spreader that can be employed to widen the frame oh so slightly for the mate up procedure and then removed?

Because of the application, it would need to be very small. (total length: 1.375" to 1.625" by total width of perhaps 1/2 to 3/4 inch)

Thank you.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Assuming I understand what you want, what about using one of those long "joiner" nuts from Home Depot and a bolt of the correct length to fit in the opening. The long nut should give you more than an inch of spread. Maybe put crutch tips or something similar over the ends so it doesn't mark the swingarm.

Plays with tools
    Might want to do some measurements to make sure it's your frame that's out of spec before you start yarding on stuff. The hub should measure 135 mm and the frame should be a couple millimeters wider. Assuming the frame is made from metal and your swing arm is 135 or less you can use what slash recommended to ease it out.

Wouldn't be a bad idea to check with the manufacture about warranty before you fix it.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by customfab View Post
    Might want to do some measurements to make sure it's your frame that's out of spec before you start yarding on stuff. The hub should measure 135 mm and the frame should be a couple millimeters wider. Assuming the frame is made from metal and your swing arm is 135 or less you can use what slash recommended to ease it out.

Wouldn't be a bad idea to check with the manufacture about warranty before you fix it.
    I'm not trying to widen it at the dropouts, but at the other end, where the main pivot is. The rear dropouts are the perfect width and perfectly aligned. The part that's really tight is on the other end of the swingarm.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Just squeeze the droppouts together and the pivot will open. Not going to solve the problem once you let off though. I would contact the manufacturer and see what they say.

Plays with tools
    Quote Originally Posted by Moonshine Willie View Post
    I'm not trying to widen it at the dropouts, but at the other end, where the main pivot is. The rear dropouts are the perfect width and perfectly aligned. The part that's really tight is on the other end of the swingarm.
    Ahh, now I see what your problem is.

Swingarms normally fit pretty tight, it's not uncommon to have to tap them with a dead blow to get them back on. Seems they don't like to have the bolts pull the mounting points in even a little bit.

Depending on the design Mike's idea could make things a little easier.

Big Gulps, Alright!
    How much does it need to be widened? It's supposed to be a tight fit. A spreader sounds like a bad idea, especially on aluminum.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009

Got it!

Finally got the swingarm on without use of spreaders or pry bars or anything else! All materials are in fine shape and now highly functional!

The feat was made possible by a good night's sleep, vitamins, brute strength, stamina, sticktoitiveness (took many unsuccessful attempts), a steady hand, a strong friend to steady the frame in the stand so it didn't move one bit, and an entire vocabulary of profanity.

Thanks to everyone who chimed in here and offered assistance. It helped motivate me to keep trying. I do appreciate it.

P.S. Size difference between the two parts was about 1.5mm—which really speaks to relativity if you think about it (i.e. a tiny gap or a grand canyon, depending on what you're trying to accomplish).