Thread: Fox RP2 rebuild

mtbr member
    Oct 2013

Fox RP2 rebuild

G'day,

After my RP2 dropped all its oil through the air can I decided to try a rebuild myself. Found some good info on this site.

Couple of qustions I'd like clarified if anyone can help. Firstly as I didn't pay enough attention of the shim stack on disassembly, which way up do the conical shims face? Bend down toward the bottom of the shock or up toward the top?

Secondly when I pump the FTP even with 50psi or so oil pours out of the top cap through the pro pedal lever. The only place I can see that it can get through is around the small 'o' ring inside the top of the shaft that seals against the damper tube. Seems like an odd area to hold 300psi if I can ever get it to seal.

On that note I can't find any Fox parts to replace seals in the oil side, just the air can. I'll have to hope my local seal shop can match the seals.

Anything I may have missed?

Cheers

Deano

mtbr member
    May 2013
    When all else fails send it in...

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Lemonaid View Post
    When all else fails send it in...
    Lemonade,

I have the skills, just need to track down the parts. If it fails then, time for a new one and bin the old.

Cheers

Deano

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Do you have the tools to put the nitrogen back in the shock? I think the pressure is around 350-400psi. Rebuilding the air chamber is easy, but unless you have the special equipment to put the nitrogen back in you can't rebuild the shock yourself. Be careful if you take it apart because there is a lot of pressure in the shock and you need to release it first.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Have you spent any time on the fox website? They have a great section with videos, etc. I'm sure if you call customer service, they'll help you out.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    This failure is not something a normal 'air chamber service' will fix.

As far as I've read, the oil/air leaking out of the propedal area is a failed nitrogen chamber. You'll probably have to send it in to have the nitrogen chamber rebuilt and recharged.

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    The two tiny o-rings in and around the propedal shafts are at fault and allowing oil to bypass into the top chamber and out of the propedal lever. One is inside the main shaft and seals the damper rod and the other is at the top of the damper rod and seals the inner rod with the spring plunger on the end. This one is completely wrecked. Shock is safely in a million pieces awaiting these seals. I have made a tool to repump the FTP chamber and should be able to get 300psi into it. This will be air which is 80% nitrogen anyway. I also have an adaptor on the way from Amozon that threads into the FTP at the bottom and has a car type valve to pump through. If I can track down a local business to recharge with nitrogen I will, otherwise I'll go with the air. Thanks men.

Cheers

Deano

Quote Originally Posted by irv_usc View Post
    This failure is not something a normal 'air chamber service' will fix.

As far as I've read, the oil/air leaking out of the propedal area is a failed nitrogen chamber. You'll probably have to send it in to have the nitrogen chamber rebuilt and recharged.