mtbr member

Food grade CO2 cartridges that don't fit

I just bought 30 food grade CO2 cartridges and found out the hard way that they don't work on bike inflater adapters. The neck is slightly oversize such that it doesn't fit. Has anybody modified either the CO2 cartridge by filing it down or maybe opening up the adapter fitting so, that the neck will fit in?
    I'm not too sure I want to start filing down the neck of the CO2 because if I file down too low I've got a potential rocket on my hands.
    I thought about removing the threads in the head of the adapter because it's dual purpose for threaded and non-threaded cartridges and then only be able to use non-threaded cartridges (which I prefer)
    And yes it's too late to return the cartridges.

mtbr member
    I'd put them on ebay - 7 day auction.

mtbr member
    There's a reason for this. Wouldn't it be bad to have non-food grade CO2 end up on food stuff and get people sick?

That being said, if you've got a good source for these and have a bunch (meaning you'll be able to get more at a better price then non-food grade), then there's got to be a way to "make an adapter" for your needs. If it's a one time deal then unload them and cut your losses. Me being the engineer and liking to tinker, I'd go and "machine" something to adapt the food-grade to the filler you have. Fun to be able to say "It's been done".

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    I have 30 of the same ones I am sure. I was thinking to open up the inside of the inflator nozzle area to create just enough clearance for it to fit. Will look at it again. It seems not to many others have fallen victim to the same "has to be a cheaper source out there" plan gone wrong.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by 1362 View Post
    I have 30 of the same ones I am sure. I was thinking to open up the inside of the inflator nozzle area to create just enough clearance for it to fit. Will look at it again. It seems not to many others have fallen victim to the same "has to be a cheaper source out there" plan gone wrong.
    Just be safe with what ever you put together. CO2 going from liquid to gas has a lot of pressure and can burn pretty bad. Hate to hear of someone getting pummeled or burned by one of these things letting loose.

Side benefit. You can always carbonate your favorite drink out on the trail and it will cool it at the same time.

Plays with tools
    I would imagine you could drill out the threads and be good to go. Even if it's only for a box of cartridges the economics could work out in your favor.