mtbr member
    Sep 2008

Floor pump popping

I bought an alloy floor pump of all places at Aldi for $8. It has a gauge and dual head. Surprisingly, it has lasted for 2 yrs so far.

However, my 5-year-old got ahold of it the other day and unscrewed the top and pulled out the plunger. I did not see any other parts lying around, and put it back in with the o-ring intact. Now, it makes a popping sound at the bottom of every stroke, and the gauge goes haywire.

Any ideas on what part might be missing?

This sounds like a challenging one to me, so I will be grateful to the wizard that figures this one out. If a pic is needed, I can do that.

Thanks in advance.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Is the plunger made of leather or plastic, and also, did you grease/oil the o-ring or edge of the plunger?

If the plunger is leather, it may have been deformed, but more likely, the pop is being caused by suction. Lube up the internals and see if it fixes it. [i]Very/[i] light oil. Like, tri-flow light.

Old Yeller
    Maybe it's missing the plastic/rubber/metal check ball to keep the air from back flowin.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    I agree, sounds like a check valve. Maybe some crud got in the chamber and you can blow it out? Or could be that air can't get into the top of the tube when you start to reverse the stroke?
    Take a look here at this video on how a pump works to see what to look for:
    How a Bike Pump Works - YouTube

mtbr member
    Zombie post, but it's appropriate
    Aldi's has their floor pumps for $8 and a bike work stand for $30 this week. Nothing amazing, but they work. I have one of the aldi pumps in my car for the last year or so. I don't worry about it getting bumped around or damaged. Stamped steel foot rest and questionable gauge accuracy, but it works, the gauge is repeatable, and is a heck of a lot easier than CO2 cartridges or a frame pump when messing around in the parking lot.
    "a hundred travel books isn't worth one real trip"

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Was wondering about that stand - how's it compare to the ~$100 offerings from Jenson, nashbar, etc?

mtbr member
    There's a youtube video review of it. search "aldi bike stand" and it pops up towards the top. Looks good, so I'll probably end up buying one if my local aldi's still has one.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Cool, might have to wander over tomorrow and see what they have. Thanks!

mtbr member
    Grabbed the work stand last night. Thumbs up, and I'd recommend it for a DIY stand. Not quite Park tools quality, but not that far off. Higher than I expected for $30 The current model uses a lever for the bike clamp instead of the knob, which makes it much better than the original. Still uses knob clamps for rotating the arm and elevation. They worked well, just have to be careful when unscrewing them. I thought I'd give it a good spin, and the knob and nut came unscrewed. A little over zealous.

Only thing I didn't like was there was some sway in the legs when folded up, which is a pretty lame complaint if it's the only thing I found wrong. Once fully extended, the stand didn't move at all. If they do start to go, easy to re-drill the holes and replace with tighter fighting bolts.

Threw my 29er in the stand last night, cranked up the rear wheel RPM and slammed on the brake. Some movement in the bike/stand, but nothing more than I've seen from any other stand.

Magically Delicious
    Since the subject of old pumps and this thread has been resurrected...

My floor pump was picked up at a garage sale about 15 years ago for maybe $2.00. It has been a true bargain that has proven itself time and time again. It's pathetic looking, but has performed admirably with out fail. About once a year it will begin to bypass air around the seemingly worn out "O" ring, so I just pull it apart, lube up the "O" ring and it's ready for another year of quality service.

Spending a lot of $$ on a floor pump just seems over rated to me.
    A bad day of cycling is better than a good day at work

Work Truck - Dassault Falcon 7X