Grams Light Bikes

Fix It Sticks Announces Bike Multitool

Fix It Sticks Announces Bike Multitool | Mountain Bike Review

A very functional tool got a quick funding over on Kickstarter, and should be on the market around Sea Otter time frame. The two-piece tool goes together and breaks down easily, and the four permanently attached bits should cover most bike components. Cool tool!

What does everyone think?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Fix It Sticks Announces Bike Multitool-fis.jpg  

mtbr member
    I'm not sure that offers me any more functionality than one of those multi-bit screwdrivers kinda like

and the Sticks tool is 25$ and a multi driver thing is like 5 bucks. Now you get a chain tool or something beyond a few standard hex bits in a metal stick then maybe.

Grams Light Bikes
    That doesn't offer enough leverage on most bolts. The Topeak Topeak® Cycling Accessories is a bit more comparable, is cheaper but weighs twice as much. I still carry my fancier SKS multitool, but I have it stashed way down in the pack. I also like this tool since its skinny shape will let it fit into odd places.

Plays with tools
    I'm curious why the hole mid span is a hex and why the outside is as well. Looks like a good idea overall. I would pick one up if I could select my own bits. But as they sit their pressed in and not user changeable in theroy.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by customfab View Post
    I'm curious why the hole mid span is a hex and why the outside is as well. Looks like a good idea overall. I would pick one up if I could select my own bits. But as they sit their pressed in and not user changeable in theroy.
    to use it like a t handle. check the kickstarter pic Fix It Sticks-A Fantastically Unique Bicycle Multitool by Brian Davis — Kickstarter

Five is right out
    Sep 2006
    Not sure how useful that is... at home, you'd have access to individual dedicated tools which are better than any multi-tool.

On the trail, you don't need much torque (which is what the Fix tool seems to give), you just need small and compact (which the Fix is not, compared to a standard bike multi-tool).

It's pretty, but beyond that I can't see the appeal.

Plays with tools
    Quote Originally Posted by reptilezs View Post
    Yeah I got that part.

It doesn't seem to be a critical detail, but why is the hole mid span a hex, when the tool that slots into it for added leverage is round? And why is the bulked up section in the middle hexagonal? Is this supposed to be so you can but a open end wrench on it?

遅すぎ
    Apr 2008
    Seems like the park tool mt-1 is a cheaper, similar in function and weight, but more versatile. It's a very high quality made in the usa tool, but this might be a little easier on the hands.

mtbr member

Meh

Looks slick, but it's expensive for what it is. I carry a simple set of 3, 4, 5, and 6mm L-shaped allen wrenches, plus an Avid T25 & T10 wrench, wrapped together by a rubber band. Just as effective, just as light (~56 grams), and way less expensive.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by customfab View Post
    Yeah I got that part.

It doesn't seem to be a critical detail, but why is the hole mid span a hex, when the tool that slots into it for added leverage is round? And why is the bulked up section in the middle hexagonal? Is this supposed to be so you can but a open end wrench on it?
    Because it's designed to be used as a T-handle, and in that position the only thing that keeps the top of the "T" from just spinning freely is the fact that it's a hex / hex connection.

Category Winner
    Here's how I see it.

As a single speeder, I might be able to get away with one set. I currently only carry a 4, 5, 6, and an adapter for an 8mm.

But an 8mm is not an option on the Fix-It-Sticks.

It seems like a geared rider would need two sets.... $58-70 (standard or build your own).

A friend of mine put this kit together:

Link to the image won't work since it's got the word "d$%ks" in it. I'll just attach it to the bottom of the post.

http://teamdicky.blogspot.com/2013/01/*****tarter.html Once again, blocked by the censors.

176 grams and @ $20. Pretty versatile and cheap.

In defense of the Fix It Sticks, they are made in the USA. I think they have some potential, but could maybe use some tweaking or perhaps cheaper options if you buy two kits.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    WWW.TEAMDICKY.COM

I get paid 3˘ every time I post on MTBR.

Grams Light Bikes
    Fix It Sticks Announces Bike Multitool-presta_ratchet.jpg

On some components you do need to apply some decent amount of torque, such as seatpost binder and saddle clamp. I carry a multi-tool to cover all needs, but rarely use it, and instead I use my trusty Prestaratchet for most anything. I have yet to try the Fix It Sticks since a review sample hasn't been sent to us.