mtbr member
    Oct 2012

First wheel truing...

I noticed a wobble in my front wheel the other day. Today, the new chain came in to replace the worn one, so it was time for a little bike wrenching. First time I've ever played with spokes and wheel tension... I used the zip-tie on the fork method to find the spot (right at the valve hole), and tightened/loosened about 7 spokes to bring it back into true. Probably about 1/2 turn on most of the nipples, except for one which was VERY loose for some reason, right at the center of the spot. That one had 1-1.5 turns of tightening. Still much easier to turn than the other nipples, but the wheel was within measurement error of true, so I wasn't about to futz with it more.

I should probably have pulled the tire/tube off first, but having replaced a flat 2 weeks ago, I knew the rim strip was in good condition, so I just left the wheel on the bike. We'll see if I have a flat tomorrow, I guess...

Plays with tools
    It's always prefered to find those dramatically loose spokes and bring them to a common tension first. Then go messing with the rest of the wheel. An exception to this would be if a wheel was seriously bent and you're trying to limp it along when it should be replaced.