mtbr member
    Jan 2006

First Time Avid Brake Bleed

I just bled my Elixir's for the first time...so THIS is what these brakes are supposed to feel like. Wow...didn't realize a proper bleed would make such a difference. No mushy lever feel. Can't wait to try them out on the trail.

How often do people usually bleed Elixirs? I've had mine about 4 months and they really needed it. Not sure if the place I got the bike from (Jenson) did a proper bleed or just shipped the bike as is. At any rate, they feel much better. Hopefully nothing explodes when i hit the trails...

mtbr member
    Apr 2012

Re: First Time Avid Brake Bleed

I bleed mine yearly. DOT fluid is hygroscopic, so it incorporates moisture in the air. While it is unlikely water would cause a catastrophic failure, it affects the heat capacity of the system, and leads to poor brake performance over time.

DFMBA.org
    Yearly, unless they start losing power. Ive had pretty good luck with two sets of 3s, including the bleed process.

Sent from my mountain bike while crashing
    Please donate to IMBA or your local IMBA chapter. It's trail karma.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    These are Elixir 1's, which seem to get trashed quite a bit in the forums. After reading so many negative reviews I thought about skipping the bleed and just buying something else, but I'll wait and see how it goes. I'd at least like to get a couple years out of them before scrapping them entirely.

mtbr member
    I have elixir 1's, that I am happy with. They do work MUCH better after a good bleed though. I also tossed around the idea of replacing them, but I don't make enough money to throw it away just because people on the forums say something sucks.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    While you bleed them, listen for a sucking/wheezing noise at the master cylinder on the lever. If they are newer, there probably won't be a problem, but if you hear something, they'll need to be warrantied.