Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Mar 2010

Favorite multi-tool?

This week I've had two mechanical issues on the trail and had no tools and realized it's time to add a multi-tool as part of my riding gear. What do you recommend?

I realize you can't plan for everything but I'm looking for advice on a tool which will cover "most" issues.

TIA!

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    I have the Crank Bothers Multi-19 and it works good though the chain breaker is hard to get a good grip on. Before that I had a cheap Spin Doctor 16 Multi-tool which also worked good. Topeak's Alien series is very nice, but might be overkill.

mtbr member
    Crank Brothers Multi-19 feels great in the hand. I actually like their chain tool.

I also have a Lezyne tool. The width/length ratio is wrong. though. And the knife tends to want to sneak out and cut me if I'm not paying attention.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    I have a Topeak Alien II. Used it plenty of times, no complaints, and has never failed me.

addicted to chunk
    I have a park tools, two sides slide together, allen keys, screwdriver, chain tool, & tire levers....works well.
    Riding.....

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    I have a Crank Bros Multi-17, which has more tools than my bike needs. I also keep a small Leatherman Squirt multitool in my bag, since there is really nothing that can substitute for a knife blade or scissors when you need them. It weighs about 55 grams. It also has tweezers for pulling thorns or cactus needles out of your tire (or body parts), a metal file, and a tiny screwdriver for tightening the little screw in your sunglasses.
    Justin
    Salt Lake City
    2012 Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Comp 29
    2006 Specialized Allez Expert Double

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by zerokoo149 View Post
    I have a Topeak Alien II. Used it plenty of times, no complaints, and has never failed me.
    +1 pliers is the only thing missing

Sent from my cm_tenderloin using Tapatalk 2

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Topeak Alien

jummo

addicted to chunk
    I also carry a leatherman wave. 95% of rides it is not needed, but when you DO need it, it is very handy I'd rather be prepared than have to walk my bike out....so annoying to walk a bike off the trails.
    Riding.....

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Thanks for all the input. I looked at the alien but it was just too big to fit in my bike pack... unless I took out my spare tube!

I ended up getting the crank bros. mulit-19. Now I just need a few spare chain links to carry with me and I should be MUCH more prepared for on-trail emergencies.

Shark.. I had to walk my bike out last week after a flat. I had a spare tube, however I only had a single small CO2 filler. I had already used some of it to try to add air to my tire thinking it was only low on air. Needless to say, it didn't have enough to fill my tube! It was a long, boring walk and cycling shoes SUCK to walk in!!

I now have a LARGE CO2 bottle, and new tires filled with Stans sealant.

Thanks again for all the input!

GO BLUE!!
    Topeak Alien Deux. Has been an excellent tool.
    I always wanted a Wookie, but I found out they weren't real.
    (Thanks for nothing, George Lucas.)

The Wiking
    Quote Originally Posted by mlevinson View Post

Thanks again for all the input!
    Get a decent pump instead.. it has unlimeted suplies of air.. so if you have seeping out, you can top up and keep riding till you get out... once you've used your co2... you walk..
    with speed, shall technique be conquered

The streets are the sketchiest of trails.

GO BLUE!!
    Quote Originally Posted by mlevinson View Post
    I've also read that CO2 and Stan's don't mix well. Something about the CO2 breaking down the Stan's Sealant. Just something I read. You may want to research this and make your own decision.
    I always wanted a Wookie, but I found out they weren't real.
    (Thanks for nothing, George Lucas.)

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Instead of an all in one multi tool, I prefer to put together my own set. Here's what I usually carry:

Topeak Mini 9: This is my favorite bike tool by far. The only thing I can fault it for lacking is a flat head screw driver, and even then I would only use it for prying things since my bike doesn't have flat head screws.

Topeak Super Chain Tool: Topeak's chain tools work better than the ones built into any other brands' multi tools because they actually let you get enough leverage on the tool and the screw. The only way I can get a Crankbrothers chain tool to work most of the time is to hold the tab with pliers, which I didn't used to carry (though I do now, see below).

Park 4-sided spoke wrench (SW-40): This is great to turn difficult spokes without stripping them. It's a bit slower to use than a normal 3-sided wrench, but it offers a big improvement in gripping power. It's not very heavy, so I don't mind carrying one of these, and it surely works better than the stamped sheet metal spoke wrenches most multi tools have.

Leatherman Freestyle CX: This is a recent addition to the tools I carry, just a knife and pliers. Any other tools I might need are covered by the above, and when I'm camping or at work I usually don't need any other tools either. The 154CM steel blade is extremely sharp and should hold an edge well. This is basically the same tool as the Skeletool CX, but without the screwdriver bits or bottle opener/carabiner clip.I can open a bottle with the pliers if I need to. Finally, don't be fooled by the marketing- the insert is actually plastic, NOT carbon. It was cheap enough that I don't really care, but if I had paid full price I would be kind of upset that they advertise it as carbon and it's no. As far as I know, the insert is mostly for aesthetic purposes, so this works just as well as a carbon one.

Freestyle CX: 128g
    Mini 9: 92g
    Chain Tool: 65g minus an allen key
    Park Spoke wrench: 28g
    Total: less than 313g, or not much more than an Alien ii.
    Matt

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Laser4G63 View Post
    I've also read that CO2 and Stan's don't mix well. Something about the CO2 breaking down the Stan's Sealant. Just something I read. You may want to research this and make your own decision.

The CO2 is just for emergencies to fill my spare tube. I recently replaced both tires and while removing them noticed that the stans was all dried out. If I had added more sealant I may have gotten away with the tear in the sidewall of my tire which made me walk... but maybe not.

I am considering a pump too. What small ones do you guys carry?

mtbr member
    park multi tools are total crap. I tried using one of the allen wrenches on mine and it twisted up into a barber pole looking thing. They use such crappy metal on their multi tools. I love my crank bros tool paired with a leatherman.

No Stranger to danger....
    OP, great choice on the crank bros multi 17, its as good as they come...

Extra Crispy
    Quote Originally Posted by Couloirman View Post
    park multi tools are total crap. I tried using one of the allen wrenches on mine and it twisted up into a barber pole looking thing. They use such crappy metal on their multi tools. I love my crank bros tool paired with a leatherman.
    This. A pedal came loose on the trail today, and that little 8mm nipple that slips over the 6mm allen key shattered the second I put any torque on it. Luckily a riding buddy had a legitimate 8mm key I could borrow.

Needless to say, after owning that $28 Park IB-3 tool for 3 days, I'm shopping for another.
    Now with eggs.

Schipperkes are cool.
    Quote Originally Posted by mikesee
    Better suited to non-aggressive 125# gals named Russell.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Park Tool Rescue Wrench - MT-1C, the one that looks like a dogbone. I'm not a fan of the folding multi tools, a lot of times the metal feels weak and fragile. I carry this guy and a small adjustable wrench to handle anything. I've had it for a few years and still looks brand new.

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Fluidworks View Post
    Park Tool Rescue Wrench - MT-1C, the one that looks like a dogbone. I'm not a fan of the folding multi tools, a lot of times the metal feels weak and fragile. I carry this guy and a small adjustable wrench to handle anything. I've had it for a few years and still looks brand new.
    love that tool. Weighs nothing and it's stout.
    I added a chain breaker out of a specialized all in one and I'm set.

banned
    Nov 2011
    It's all about Topeak!

Trail Tire TV on blogger
    Quote Originally Posted by Trail Addict View Post
    It's all about Topeak!
    ya, i have to agree, I have had a few different ones and always go back the the Topeak Hexus. Have an Alien also but man is that thing huge!! My biggest problem with the Crank Bros is the whole tool it's self is kinda big/wide and the tools themselves are SO short that every time I've ever needed it the damn thing was bumping something, scratching the frame, or otherwise making the repair difficult. The Topeaks in general are narrower profile with a good bit longer tools making it easier to work with. Plus the chain tool is about the easiest to useof any I have tried. My Hexus just fell apart after hmmm like 8-10 yrs... ? (never checked the stupid nut holding it all together) time for a new one.
    Going to try and bring Trail Tire TV back. go take a look... http://trailtiretv.blogspot.com/

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    what banks said. I use Cool Tool

Front Range, Colorado
    Topeak makes top notch products for sure.
    ----------- __o
    --------- _`\<,_
    BRAAP(>)/ (*)
    ************^^^^^^Rock Garden
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qqpcBpSsj1A

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast