mtbr member
    Mar 2011

favorite lite weight multitool

Looking to replace my 15 year old one thats as heavy as a brick.Lite weight to take when I race.
    Thanks.

mtbr member
    Other than a $5 bill to entice other riders, maybe the PocketToolX MAKO? Never used one, but looks pretty dang light/slightly awkward.

MAKO review
    (not my blog)

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    I am fond of the new shimano pro bike tools. They have a very nice compact design. They make them both with a chainbreaker and a super minimal one without. I have the chainbreaker one in my Camelbak and the super small one in my seatbag for racing or short rides. The model numbers are the mini 11 (no chain tool) ad the slide 20 with the chain tool. The shimano chain tool works very well unlike the one on my blackburn tool. The only other chain tool that I have found to be worthwhile on the mini tools is the nicer crank brothers multi 17 but this tool was much heavier then the shimano one.

mtbr member
    I've had a few different multitools, but they always have drawbacks. Some are too big, others use 1/4" bits that are easily dropped and lost. My current favorite is the Park MT-1.

Park Tool Co. MT-1 : Multi-Tool : Multi Tools

It's very cheap and light, but has most of the sizes I need including an 8mm hex. The bits are in a fixed position too, so they don't move around or anything. I wouldn't want to do a lot of work with it, but it is a great emergency tool.
    '12 Soma Analog SS
    '10 Transition TransAM
    '07 Felt F1X
    '97 Schwinn Mesa SS
    '89 Fuji Saratoga
    '86 Fuji Club