mtbr member
    May 2006

Enduro outboard BB cup tool opinions

My outboard BB cup tool has a tendancy of marring the cups. I suspect that it is due to it not totally wrapping around the cup. The other thing with my tool is that it does not allow me to torque the cup properly because there is no way for me to attach a torque wrench. Has anyone out there used one of these:

http://www.enduroforkseals.com/id122.html

If so, please respond. I am looking to buy a good quality tool that will allow me to regularly service my BB.

Thanks

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    I have one in my tool box though I haven't had cause to use it yet. Having said that, it is a very well made tool and totally grips the bb cup, and not just the notch area. I grabs the non-notched part of the cup and uses that to stablize the tool. I was wondering why no-one made such a type of cup tool when I stumbled upon the enduro tool.

It's a good tool. Don't hesitate to get one.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by capnstem
    My outboard BB cup tool has a tendancy of marring the cups. I suspect that it is due to it not totally wrapping around the cup. The other thing with my tool is that it does not allow me to torque the cup properly because there is no way for me to attach a torque wrench. Has anyone out there used one of these:

http://www.enduroforkseals.com/id122.html

If so, please respond. I am looking to buy a good quality tool that will allow me to regularly service my BB.
    I have a Park Tool BBT-9 and the external bearing tool from Enduro Fork Seals.

I've used the BBT-9 tool on several occasions. It grips the bearing cup well and provides enough handle length to easily remove and install the bearing cups. Like the tool that you use, the BBT-9 provides no way to check the torque when intalling the bearing. (You can check the torque of the end cap when using the end cap tool though.)

I've only used the Enduro tool once (so far). It too grips the bearing cup well, but has only half as many engagement points as the BBT-9. The BBT-9 grips all 16 of the notches on the cup whereas the Enduro tool grips only 8. I did not find this to be a problem though either during removal or installation. As noted by bdaghisallo, the Enduro tool fits tightly, so tightly in fact that I had difficulty getting one of the cups out of the tool after I had removed it from the bike. This was due to a bur on one of the cups Whether this bur was caused by a previous use of the BBT-9 or by trail damage, I cannot say. I do not believe that it was caused by use of the Enduro tool though because I had also had trouble fitting the tool over the cup to begin with, which suggests to me that the bur was already present prior to starting. The Enduro tool really shines when replacing the cups due to the fact that you can easily attach a torque wrench.

In the future, since I own both tools, I'll likely use the BBT-9 to remove the cups and the Enduro external BB tool to reinstall them. The BBT-9 gets the nod on cup removal since it has more engagement points. But the Enduro tool is a much better tool to use for installing the cups due to the fact that you can be certain that you're correctly torquing the cups.

If you do purchase the Enduro tool, take care to file away any burs created by use of the other tool that you've been using. If you don't, you may have difficulty fitting the tool over the cups or getting the cups out of the tool.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Thanks for tips - especially the advice on filing burrs.