Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Enduro BB press/puller issue

1K views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  rockman 
#1 · (Edited)
Has anyone using the Enduro x-type outboard bearing puller/press run into the "cup holder" being machined just slightly too tight? My bearing cups were hardly marred if at all from my Park bb tool but dang if I didn't have to screw the cup into the frame and tap the enduro cup holder off of the cup to remove it from the cups. The tolerance should just not be this tight. I only got 300 miles out of the replacement hybrid ceramic bearings and I'm wondering if the "squeeze" they got has something to do with it. I live in AZ so I'm not riding through creeks or anything.

I pried off the seals today and jammed some more grease in there but the bearings are still toast. The Enduro folks are out of town until Aug 8 or I would give them a call but I want to order some new bearings pronto. I wonder if ABI (the manufacturer) had a bad batch or something and perhaps will replace the cup holder? Otherwise, it's a really nice tool:confused:

#2 ·
I have one of those, and yes, the fit is VERY tight.

I have taken to using a fine file on the outside of the cups if there is any surface marring of the cups edge, to help with the snug fit. Also, I find that spraying the cup tool with silicone spray before using it helps the cups to come out easier.

I can't see where that would have any bearing (no pun intended) on your issue of quick bearing life. You didn't over do it with the side load preloader tool, did you?

#3 ·
It's been a couple of months so I can't remember if I got agro with the preloader tool or not. Maybe just luck of the draw and another reason to just use standard bearings. I was following the directions pretty closely. I think I greased the cup holder for the non-drive side after struggling with the drive-side cup but the cup still got lodged in there and had to be tapped out.

There was little marring of the cups but I'll have to try the silicone spray. Thanks for the reply and tip:thumbsup:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.