Results 1 to 16 of 16
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    10

    Easy Truing Tool (Bootleg, Ghetto, DIY Poor Man's)

    Not sure if this has been done on here, but I needed a simple and quick way to true up my wheel because after every run, it goes out of true (Stock Bontrager AT-650 for those of you who were going to ask).

    It is just a 6" ruler with a couple of those really strong paper clips attached to it and they slide back and forth on the ruler. It works surprisingly well and fits in a bike bag for those emergency road jobs.

    One big fat rubber band (which I couldn't find here in Chiang Mai) or a few smaller ones knotted together holds it onto the bike frame, then you just spin, adjust, slide in, adjust, etc.

    Easy Truing Tool (Bootleg, Ghetto, DIY Poor Man's)-true1.jpgEasy Truing Tool (Bootleg, Ghetto, DIY Poor Man's)-true2.jpg

    I thought I would post it in the forum since it is quite handy and may be useful to some other riders.


  2. #2
    Yes, that's fonetic
    Reputation: whodaphuck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    3,791
    Truing after every ride? Sounds like a real PITA, and that someone forgot Spoke Prep in the wheel build...

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    10
    Well, it's the Trek factory stock wheel. I'm 6' 2" and 175 lbs. I ride single tracks and steep rough fire roads that pound the rear wheel at the speeds I go. The front is still perfectly straight due to the shock I would guess. The rear wheel just goes out of true after every ride. Same wheel front/back.

  4. #4
    Magically Delicious
    Reputation: Cleared2land's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    779
    Way cool truing tool!
    No intention to hijack this, but on the subject...OK, here's my question...4000 miles on my 29'r and I'm seeing my rear wheel spokes beginning to loosen on a regular basis. So much that I check them after several rides. What's necessary to eliminate this?

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation: J.B. Weld's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    2,495
    Quote Originally Posted by Cleared2land View Post
    Way cool truing tool!
    No intention to hijack this, but on the subject...OK, here's my question...4000 miles on my 29'r and I'm seeing my rear wheel spokes beginning to loosen on a regular basis. So much that I check them after several rides. What's necessary to eliminate this?

    Same thing that the OP needs to do I'm guessing, bring the wheel up to correct tension.

  6. #6
    Birdman aka JMJ
    Reputation: Birdman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    994
    Quote Originally Posted by bobshaw View Post
    Well, it's the Trek factory stock wheel. I'm 6' 2" and 175 lbs. I ride single tracks and steep rough fire roads that pound the rear wheel at the speeds I go.
    Great idea for a quick truing stand. Add a length of "stick on" magnet to the back of the ruler (if you have a steel frame), and ditch you can the rubber bands.

    However, you really need to have that wheel relaced or at least retensioned. I am also 6' 2", 175lb, and ride my 2 SS bikes on rolling/rocky/rooty singletrack and fire roads. I've relaced the front & rear wheels on both bikes to WI hubs, and I've not touched them with a spoke wrench in the past few years.
    Last edited by Birdman; 12-12-2013 at 10:42 AM.

  7. #7
    Trail Tire TV on blogger
    Reputation: thomllama's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    4,047
    if you're re truing after every ride you need to make sure...
    • 1 you have enough tension Like JB Weld satiated.
    • 2 Make sure you unwind/untwist the spokes after and re tension as need before riding it..(this is what I'm guessing you're not doing)
    • 3 possibly lock the threads with Prep like whodaphuck stated, but only after unwinding



    Basically a wheel flexes to some point no mater what during a ride, but the spokes should return it to near perfect position after it's un weighted,.. if it's not you are most likely letting the rim be what you are using to straighten instead of the spokes and it'll bend outa shape..

    Cheap wheels will stay true (with in reason anyway) just as well as the highest quality as long as they are built correctly. you may get pinned joints that flair or wobble a tad at he joint but they should stay put once you get it set...
    Going to try and bring Trail Tire TV back. go take a look... http://trailtiretv.blogspot.com/

  8. #8
    Fat-tired Roadie
    Reputation: AndrwSwitch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    13,939
    Continuing the thread jack, you may see a little better results in this case if you loosen all the spokes a bit before you get started. You can't do anything about the fatigue that's already started, but I think it will help you start from even-ish tension.

    I've never been your height, but I got close to your weight for a bit, and still didn't have this sort of trouble with my wheels.

    When spokes start breaking, cut your losses.
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx

  9. #9
    Trail Tire TV on blogger
    Reputation: thomllama's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    4,047
    Quote Originally Posted by AndrwSwitch View Post
    Continuing the thread jack, you may see a little better results in this case if you loosen all the spokes a bit before you get started. You can't do anything about the fatigue that's already started, but I think it will help you start from even-ish tension.

    I've never been your height, but I got close to your weight for a bit, and still didn't have this sort of trouble with my wheels.

    When spokes start breaking, cut your losses.
    What he said!!!

    But to the subject of the threads base, cool idea for truing wheels without an expensive stand!!
    Going to try and bring Trail Tire TV back. go take a look... http://trailtiretv.blogspot.com/

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation: ghettocop's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    1,353
    Cool tool man. As others have stated, if you are just laterally truing often, you are not addressing the problem of your de-tensioned wheel. Do what Andrw and Thom suggest. You seem to have the aptitude. Loosen all the nipples to an equal depth of thread on the spoke. Bring tension up slowly all the way around with 1/4 or 1/2 turns. Check true.....radial and lateral. Dish and stress-relieve after bringing up to a workable tension and repeat process until tension is good all the way around. If you just keep truing the wheel it's going to get worse and is adding to the problem.

  11. #11
    turtles make me hot
    Reputation: NYrr496's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    4,512
    I weigh 260 pounds and my wheels hardly ever go out of true. You need to have that wheel laced by someone who has a clue.
    I like turtles

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    2,654
    I do have a nice park stand but building my fatbike wheels I used a very similar method to yours since the big old rims (and or 170mm hubs) will not fit on the stand, actually it works really wheel (to less than .5mm)..

  13. #13
    turtles make me hot
    Reputation: NYrr496's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    4,512
    Quote Originally Posted by patineto View Post
    I do have a nice park stand but building my fatbike wheels I used a very similar method to yours since the big old rims (and or 170mm hubs) will not fit on the stand, actually it works really wheel (to less than .5mm)..
    Dude. Park just released adapters so you can do fat wheels in your stand. I'm doing 190mm hubs in mine.

    Park Tool Co. TS-2EXT.2 : Upright Extensions & Thru Axle Adapators : Wheel Truing Stands and Accessories
    I like turtles

  14. #14
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    10
    I'll jack my own thread... Took it to a good shop here and the owner knows his trade, he said exactly what has been said here and fixed it right! Problem solved. Keeping it in my bag anyway.

  15. #15
    Trail Tire TV on blogger
    Reputation: thomllama's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    4,047
    Quote Originally Posted by bobshaw View Post
    I'll jack my own thread... Took it to a good shop here and the owner knows his trade, he said exactly what has been said here and fixed it right! Problem solved. Keeping it in my bag anyway.
    sweet
    Going to try and bring Trail Tire TV back. go take a look... http://trailtiretv.blogspot.com/

  16. #16
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    2,654
    Quote Originally Posted by NYrr496 View Post
    Dude. Park just released adapters so you can do fat wheels in your stand. I'm doing 190mm hubs in mine.

    Park Tool Co. TS-2EXT.2 : Upright Extensions & Thru Axle Adapators : Wheel Truing Stands and Accessories
    Thanks I did not know what..

Similar Threads

  1. which Lefty front hub truing tool?
    By wannabeRacer in forum Cannondale
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 10-28-2012, 03:25 AM
  2. SR Suntour - Poor product, poor service even with higher end forks
    By chrisaz82 in forum Shocks and Suspension
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 10-23-2012, 03:33 PM
  3. Replies: 5
    Last Post: 10-27-2011, 07:51 PM
  4. Great price on Park Tool TS-2.2 Pro Wheel Truing Stand
    By anthonylokrn in forum Where are the Best Deals?
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 10-13-2011, 05:42 AM
  5. Replies: 12
    Last Post: 01-24-2011, 12:44 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •