Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Jan 2008

Does anyone make a pump that DOESN'T SUCK!

So my old floor pump crapped out, got a joe blow for Christmas, the gauge is practically worthless, you can't tell which mark corresponds to 20 or 40psi, and even if you could the change of the needle from 28 to 32 PSI is unreadable. I don't want a pump that goes up to 6000psi and has a gauge that has 50 psi increments, what I want is a MOUNTAIN BIKING pump that has a gauge that goes from 0-40 PSI and shows 1 psi increments. Does such a thing exist?

Single Speed Junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by Rasterman View Post
    So my old floor pump crapped out, got a joe blow for Christmas, the gauge is practically worthless, you can't tell which mark corresponds to 20 or 40psi, and even if you could the change of the needle from 28 to 32 PSI is unreadable. I don't want a pump that goes up to 6000psi and has a gauge that has 50 psi increments, what I want is a MOUNTAIN BIKING pump that has a gauge that goes from 0-40 PSI and shows 1 psi increments. Does such a thing exist?
    I have an OLD Silica Super Pista Pump that has worked well over the past 20+ years of hard use and don't really need to consider a new floor pump any time in the near future. Was in the LBS last week and they happened to have some of the Lezyne pumps on the floor. If I had to buy a new pump today I would most likely buy one of the Lezyne pumps as I'd rather buy quality once having it last for years over needing new every few years.

As far as a gauge going from 0-40 PSI your SOL. Sorry I've looked. You can buy air gauges and try to retrofit a pump but 9 times out of 10 it is more of a PITA than it is worth.

Plays with tools
    Leyzene dirt drive with a SKS pump head.

Give it a crank
    I've seen some pumps with digital pressure gauges that would give 1psi increments, but doubt they're decently calibrated. I should add the build quality of such pumps I saw was on the scary side.

mtbr member
    Or Joe Blow

- quick to setup
    - quick to pump
    - dual valve ability

I had a Michelin and it sucked, even broke the wooden handle.

(Yellow coloured bought in the UK)

Top reviews:-

http://m.bikeradar.com/gear/category/tools/cycling-tools/floor-track-pump/product/review-topeak-joe-blow-sport-12-10749

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by wallstreet View Post
    Or Joe Blow

- quick to setup
    - quick to pump
    - dual valve ability

I had a Michelin and it sucked, even broke the wooden handle.

(Yellow coloured bought in the UK)

Top reviews:-

Topeak Joe Blow Sport pump | BikeRadar
    Re-read the Op's 10th and 11 word

DIY all the way
    Build one of industrial components.
    A 40mm pneumatic cylinder, a glycerine filled 65mm manometer 0-50 PSI, and a SKS head.
    Add a foot and a handle, and presto! you got a real nice pump.

It will cost you like 170$, which is not much more than a Leyzene and a SKS head.
    The good news is that such will last longer than you.

My pump crapped out last month, so this little project is right on top of the list.

Magura

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    If you don't mind investing in your tools you can always upgrade the gauge itself to whatever pump you have. Try something like this:

http://www.mcmaster.com/#atmospheric...gauges/=krksgl

If that doesn't work for you I'm sure McMaster-Carr has something you can use.

Plays with tools
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Magura View Post
    Build one of industrial components.
    A 40mm pneumatic cylinder, a glycerine filled 65mm manometer 0-50 PSI, and a SKS head.
    Add a foot and a handle, and presto! you got a real nice pump.

It will cost you like 170$, which is not much more than a Leyzene and a SKS head.
    The good news is that such will last longer than you.

My pump crapped out last month, so this little project is right on top of the list.

Magura
    The Classic dirt drive has an MSRP of $75 in the states. Sounds like you Euros are getting shafted. The fancy CNC version is only $110. I've found these pumps to be very reliable. Mine lives in the back of my truck. It gets beet up enough that it's got some dents and is missing some paint. It's pumped a few thousand tires at this point. Sometimes as many as 40 in a sitting. The pump is still bomber though.

Only downside to the Leyzene pumps is the head. Which is just god awful. I really would love to talk to these guys and see what they were thinking. They must love it though as they've been using it for some time. I do wish the gauge went to 120 as well. Then it would do great as a road and mountain pump. It does take some effort to get road pressures with a dirt drive but it's completely possible by a grown male

I'd like to add a floor pump to the tool line at some point but it's a ways off.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    I have a SKS floorpump I bought in the mid 90's and it is still going strong, I use it for bicycles and motorcycles, never had a single problem.

But I think the gauge would not be to your liking, not sure how the new ones are set up.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by the-one1 View Post
    Re-read the Op's 10th and 11 word
    Lol where r my glasses - age getting to me hahaa lol

Good topic though magura has an interesting notion

mtbr member
    I bought a digital pump for the precision - drawback is I need an electrical source (car or home)

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by customfab View Post
    Leyzene dirt drive with a SKS pump head.
    Awesome, now this I can work with. Found a review showing the gauge, it only goes to 70psi so the numbers are actually readable, beautiful looking too

Review: Lezyne Alloy Dirt Floor Drive pump - Bike Rumor

And look at the review:

"With the large barrel entirely unsuited to road bike use, the gauge only goes up to 70psi, making small pressure differences easy to read."

The head does not sound ideal though.
    Last edited by Rasterman; 12-27-2012 at 07:09 AM.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by ALBM View Post
    If you don't mind investing in your tools you can always upgrade the gauge itself to whatever pump you have. Try something like this:

McMaster-Carr

If that doesn't work for you I'm sure McMaster-Carr has something you can use.
    This might be the way to go, cheaper than a Leyzene, can use the excellent head of the joe blow, and will be more accurate. They list a 3.5" 0-60psi gauge with numbers every 5 psi, markings every 1 psi with an accuracy of 0.6psi for only $15, now that is kick ass.

Plays with tools
    Quote Originally Posted by Rasterman View Post
    Awesome, now this I can work with. Found a review showing the gauge, it only goes to 70psi so the numbers are actually readable, beautiful looking too

Review: Lezyne Alloy Dirt Floor Drive pump - Bike Rumor

And look at the review:

"With the large barrel entirely unsuited to road bike use, the gauge only goes up to 70psi, making small pressure differences easy to read."

The head does not sound ideal though.
    This is what I put on mine. SKS. I did have to safety wire it on though. The hose barb was a little small. But the orange trim piece covers it all up. I've been using it this way for almost a year without issue. I also routinely use it to pump up road tires to ~100psi.

Knollician
    I recently picked up the Specialized MTB pump. It is fantastic. The gauge goes to 70PSI, and it is 3" in diameter. The pump moves a ton of air, and although I have a compressor, I can easily seat tires tubeless with this pump.

Specialized Bicycle Components
    "Three balls at once...who knew?" - Cotton McKnight

mtbr member
    Oct 2007

I thought I had it licked with Joe Blow Pro

But the gauge reads 10 PSI low at MTB pressures. My high end Blackburn blew a seal. I need to send it back as it has a lifetime warrantee. I also have a performance hurricane but the head is leaking now.

Pretty much any pump I buy gets a topeak smart head. I am intrigued by the lezyne pumps. Perhaps I can find a decent price on one.

mtbr member
    The gauge on the JoeBlow Mountain only goes up to 75psi. Might be worth a look.
    '12 Soma Analog SS
    '10 Transition TransAM
    '07 Felt F1X
    '97 Schwinn Mesa SS
    '89 Fuji Saratoga
    '86 Fuji Club

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    another vote for the Lezyne. I have the Joe Blow Ace and the Lezyne kicks it's ass. Having said that, the wife won the Lezyne at a race so the cost was not an issue. Paid $35 for the Ace as it was a demo unit.

mtbr member
    My Bontrager floor pump has served me well, but if I had to buy again I would most likely get this Lezyne... Lezyne CNC Dirt Drive Floor Pump - Competitive Cyclist a little pricey, but I've heard nothing but good things.
    Yeti SB-66 Carbon

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    I have had an SKS Airbase for more than 10 years. It's still working. I don't believe that the gauge was calibrated properly, but after checking with an external gauge, I know where the needle needs to be. A few years ago, the rubber washers inside the head dried out and crumbled. I wrote to SKS to see if I could get new washers. They sent me an entirely new head plus extra washers for free. Can't complain about that kind of service.
    Justin
    Salt Lake City
    2012 Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Comp 29
    2006 Specialized Allez Expert Double

Positively negative
    Mar 2010
    Keep the Joe Blow and just get an SKS Air Checker.

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    I bought a Nashbar L'orange pump a few years ago on sale and I love it. I must say I am not a big Nashbar fan but this pump is quality. Large volume, good pump head, gauge is large, easy to read and mounted at the top of the barrel. I have seen this same pump sold in different colors and different brand names for up to $100. It is a bargain and the color is great!

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    So I think the 2 best options are to get the Lezyne Alloy Dirt Floor and replace the head. Or buy a normal pump with a good head and replace the gauge with a $15 McMaster one. Since spending $85 on the Lezyne and knowing you're going to have to mod it seems ridiculous to me, I would rather buy a normal pump with a gauge that is easy to replace, does anyone know if the sette or park pumps have easy to replace gauges?

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    I have a performance bike Spin Doctor Team HP floor pump that I picked up when it was on sale for like 20 or 30 bucks I think. It has a universal head that suppossedly adjusts for both Presta and Schrader valves but I rarely use it for Schrader valve.
    A while back the needle on the gauge fell off while the pump was knocking around in my car. I disassembled the gauge and put the needle back put the gauge never read right after I did that. It was somewhat annoying but the gauge wasn't that useful anyway even when it did work since it reads up to 260 psi but I never pump my MTB tires past 30 psi unless I'm trying to seat a tubeless tire.

Anyway, after reading this thread, I had the idea that I should change the gauge to something that has a lower range and is more accurate so this is what I did today:

I bought a Reed AHNC 0-100 psi gauge from amazon for 20 bucks. The original plan was to just swap out the broken gauge with this new one but the original gauge had a 1/8 connection while the new gauge is 1/4(and I couldn't find anything online that had a 2-1/2 inch gauge with 1/8 connection).
    After I saw the new gauge I started thinking maybe I should have gotten the 0-60 psi gauge instead but the problem is I have an occasional need to pump tires up to 70-80 psi and with the 0-60 psi gauge I wouldn't be able to do that. So then I thought what if I just put a quick connect on there and that way I can swap out the gauges quickly if I need to. So, the above was the result.
    So far I only have the 0-100 psi gauge, the 0-60 is on order but I checked the gauge against my schwalbe digital gauge and for psi over 30 its like less than 1psi difference while under 30 psi I get maybe 1-2 psi difference. I'm hoping the 0-60 gauge will be more accurate under 30 psi.

Replacing the gauge was pretty easy, just un-do 3 bolts on the bottom of the pump and then unscrew the air hose and remove gauge with wrench and install adapters and quick connect and done.
    It doesn't look pretty but I figure with the quick connect when I put my pump in the car I can remove the gauge and put it some where safer.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast