Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    You down with entropy?
    another vote for the Lezyne Dirt drive pump.
    I did get a slip chuck for it as the thread on one is a pain.
    Accessories

Nice setup now, just press the chuck on and go. I have to replace my first o-ring after ~9 months of use, so that is not too bad for life on that. Will be measuring up the o-rings and getting my own replacements for when the included supply runs out.

I did not have the newer ABS style chuck so i was having issues with removable core valve stems once in a while.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by nbwallace View Post
    But the gauge reads 10 PSI low at MTB pressures. My high end Blackburn blew a seal. I need to send it back as it has a lifetime warrantee. I also have a performance hurricane but the head is leaking now.

Pretty much any pump I buy gets a topeak smart head. I am intrigued by the lezyne pumps. Perhaps I can find a decent price on one.
    FYI i had a broken blackburn, I called in to send it back for warantty repair they said dont bother, we will just send you a new one. That is service!

mtbr member
    Oct 2007

The Lezyne is a bike wagon pretty cheap

I found this while searching ebay. I went to the bikewagon site and had a couple places match it to get lower shipping:

Lezyne Classic Dirt Floor Drive Pump Metallic Black with Wood Handle | eBay

Now I'll have three working floor pumps and the blackburn. How did you contact them about the pump.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    I love my Lezyne CNC dirt drive. It is a joy to use, and is very well constructed -- the rod is about 3/4" dia. It seats tubeless tires easily, and is great for keeping the car tires inflated. I don't use the service station air pumps anymore.

The gauge broke soon after I got it, but a call to Lezyne and I received another in the mail, and has been working flawlessly ever since (about a year). BTW the gauge is large, easy to read, and accurate based on comparison to my tire gauge.

I got it for about $80 from an independent Amazon seller.

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    I really like my Blackburn Airtower 4, it replaced my track pump pro when I wanted some new grommets for the head, blackburn didn't have any so they just sent me the airtower, lifetime warranty and all that jazz.

AIR TOWER 4 - Pumps

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    I am a bit of a pump snob and recently picked up a Lezyne pump. I love their screw-on chuck, and the pump I picked up will go to almost 200 psi. The only downer is that it doesn't put out a lot of volume, so it takes just a little bit longer to fill up a mountain bike tire.

but if you are like me and have all sorts of bikes and need the ability to go to higher pressures, I highly recommend the Lezyne.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Lezyne has two families of pumps -- "HP" and "HV" (high pressure and high volume).

The HV series is designed for mountain bikes. Also great for your car. The gauge goes up to 70 PSI. It would take forever to top off your car tire with a road bike pump, and I doubt that you could seat a tubeles tire with one.

When I started shopping for a good pump I thought I wanted something with a small cylinder to make it easier to pump. My old pump, a cheap one I got years ago at an auto parts place, is a lot of work to use. But the Lezyne is easy. The cylinder is about the same diameter. Quality parts and good engineering make a difference.

turtles make me hot
    I have a Joe Blow Mountain and like it very much. Not only do I use it on my bikes, I used it on one of my Suburban's tires in the middle of nowhere on a road trip once.
    I like turtles

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    But the gauge reads 10 PSI low at MTB pressures. My high end Blackburn blew a seal. I need to send it back as it has a lifetime warrantee. I also have a performance hurricane but the head is leaking now.

Pretty much any pump I buy gets a topeak smart head. I am intrigued by the lezyne pumps. Perhaps I can find a decent price on one.
    I agree with swapping the head to the Topeak smart head. Is that the double sided one or the single sided that adjusts? I prefer the double. I put it on an old aluminum Wrench Force floor pump and it is fantastic.

To the OP... why not use an inline gauge if it's that important to you? I would bet that a decent shop/auto inline gauge would work well. If you really want to get exactly what you're looking for try here:

many many gauges that would work...

A.
    Last edited by neex; 01-04-2013 at 09:26 PM.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    I love the Specialized (non HP) floor pumps. They have great heads and the gauge is large/easy to read.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007

I think the Specialized pump might be great.

Quote Originally Posted by briscoelab View Post
    I love the Specialized (non HP) floor pumps. They have great heads and the gauge is large/easy to read.
    I saw one of these at the LBS, the gauge is huge and really readable. I didn't check out the chuck. I haven't ever used one though. My Lezyne should be here soon I'll let you know how it works.

mtbr member
    I got the Specialized MTB floor pump for Christmas and am very happy with it. The gauge is easy to read and you can adjust in 1 psi increments. Also, it has a button on the handle to release air, which makes it easy to get the exact amount you want in the tire. Just put a little more in than what you want and then you can hit the button and let a little out until you get the pressure you want. I would definitely recommend it, although it's the only MTB specific pump I've used.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007

My dirt drive arrived and it's nice

The Lezyne is very nice. The gauge is large and readable, not as big as the specialized. However, the press-on chuck doesn't work very well. I'm going to try to put an SKS chuck on there. Hopefully non destructively.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by neex View Post
    To the OP... why not use an inline gauge if it's that important to you? I would bet that a decent shop/auto inline gauge would work well. If you really want to get exactly what you're looking for try here:

many many gauges that would work...

A.
    Yeah I know, the reason I didn't want to use a gauge is my wife bought me an $80 pump and using a gauge after spending that much on a pump seems ridiculous to me, it should come with a good gauge and it doesn't, its a piece of crap. It simply blows my mind no one makes a pump with a good MTB gauge, you figure with all of the people running tubeless it would be demanded. And the gauge should be near the valve as you are going to lose PSI in the hose.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Your pump is great, your pressure gauge sucks. Well they all pretty much suck, if your are serious get a digital gauge. Otherwise deal with it!

Climbs = necessary evil
    I found this while searching ebay. I went to the bikewagon site and had a couple places match it to get lower shipping:

Lezyne Classic Dirt Floor Drive Pump Metallic Black with Wood Handle | eBay

Now I'll have three working floor pumps and the blackburn. How did you contact them about the pump.

I saw the same Fleabay ad and when to the bikewagon.com site and got it shipped for $5, which brought the total cost down to $44.93!

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    I use the JoeBlow and Topeak digital air checker. They work really well together. When I air up my road tires I don't care about accuracy. Somewhere in between 100 and 110 PSI is good enough for me. For MTB, I just air them to 30 and then use the air checker and bleed em down to what I ride.

It isn't the calibration in the equipment, but the consistency. 25 could actually be 30, but if you like the way it rides at whatever pressure it says it is then you can get consistent air pressures. Basing the topeak digital checker from nothing super calibrated it seems like it is calibrated correctly as well or at least close enough.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2