Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    650b me

Does anyone have a home-based bike mechanic business?

I mean, for real, not just fixing friends' bikes for a sixer. I'd love to do this, but the industry seems to guard against this. I can't buy parts wholesale from a distributor without a retail storefront, regular hours, photos of sales and repair areas, etc. I'd like to focus on maintenance and repairs, not sales, but even so I need to be able to buy wholesale to have any hope of making a profit. Frustrated...

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    I've been playing around with the idea trying to figure out if it can be done in my area(locally rural but looking into providing mobile services to a larger area). It wouldn't take much of an income to top my dead end factory job of 24+ years plus I'd be doing something I love and helping people. It's kind of funny but one of my co-workers thought I already had a bike shop.

As far as not being able to buy from wholesalers that may actually be a blessing in disguise. A wholesaler is going to add a lot of requirements that will make things that much harder, such as a $2000+ month retail space. Some internet retailers and ebay sellers are selling new parts dirt cheap compared to normal prices. Providing excellent service to customers and making money off the labor is what I would focus on. It's a crapshoot so I don't plan to quit my day job until I know the business would work and be profitable.

Good luck!

650b me
    Thanks for sharing your thoughts. You may have a point about wholesaler requirements. One of the reasons I want to work from home is to keep overhead extremely low, and that is one advantage over a retail store. I will look into "alternate" sources for discounted parts. I worked in one of the most reputable local shops for about 6 months. Seeing the markup on parts was an eye-opener...typically almost 100% for full retail on the high-end stuff. That's what has me locked in to this mindset that one must have a dealer account with the distributors to make money. Perhaps not. I definitely see advantages to being a one-man operation that can offer personalized service. Food for thought...

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Check your local zoning laws. If a neighbor wanted to screw you, they can call the zoning board on you for operating a business out of a residential zone, depending on your local laws.

650b me
    Quote Originally Posted by wschruba View Post
    Check your local zoning laws. If a neighbor wanted to screw you, they can call the zoning board on you for operating a business out of a residential zone, depending on your local laws.
    I know. I have checked on the county website (I live in an unincorporated area) and they don't explicitly talk about bike repair. I will have to get clarification. If it's the kind of thing that could get my operation shut down, I won't start to begin with. Not interested in taking that risk.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Insurance. I would worry someone getting hurt on a bike I worked on even if it wasn't a system I worked on.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by rePhil View Post
    Insurance. I would worry someone getting hurt on a bike I worked on even if it wasn't a system I worked on.
    ^ This.

You don't want to lose your house and everything you own because someone got hurt on a bike you fixed.

The Bubble Wrap Hysteria
    Quote Originally Posted by rePhil View Post
    +1 That will cost you around $1500/year for liability insurance.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnbiker4life View Post
    +1 That will cost you around $1500/year for liability insurance.
    Worth every penny.

I do very occasional work which is always for free. I also do some machine work which I also don't charge for. However, I still made sure I was properly and completely insured for that. A single lawsuit can ruin your life.

mtbr member
    I really wanted to do this when I got back from UBI. It still intrigues me for sure. Getting a steady flow of customers was what I could not figure out. Not very educated when it comes to advertising/market research etc. If it helps, I know that QBP and J&B will wholesale to a mobile one man operation if you have a yellow page ad, and professional graphics on your van/truck. Still would love to try this someday, but ended up working for a bike shop instead. Pretty happy there, I guess......I'm retired so income isn't a huge issue. Good luck man. Hope you can figure out a way to make it work.

650b me
    Ghettocop, thanks for the info on mobile operations and wholesale. I wasn't aware of that. It's not my intent to "go mobile", but good to know that option exists.

To the others, thanks for mentioning insurance. I'm well aware of this. I'm not really asking how to go about this. I'm more interested in hearing from others that have already gone this route, if there are any.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Yes, this thread is right up my alley. I have been doing repairs and resale of used bikes, as well as repairing bikes for others. Been doing it for 5 years. I Really like it, Its been a learning curve because I was the first in my area to do it and no one would give me any advice. If you have any specific questions or anything, shoot me a PM. Would be more than happy to help yall out.

Plays with tools
    PM sent

I Tried Them ALL... Moderator
    OP - you're on the right track. Every town needs a reputable "Bicycle Garage" devoted to repairs, and parts only. After all - most LBS depend on this business as their bread and butter....yet fail to adequately stock enough parts, and depend on completed bike sales of high-ticket items. Problem is, a high-end bike can easily sit inside a showroom for years, while parts sales are often overlooked. One thing I will not patronize is a LBS that has to make me wait a week for my part to arrive...and still charge me full retail for it!

Your BEST investment is getting a reliable parts distributor(not QBP!).
    "The mind will quit....well before the body does"

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Zachariah View Post
    Your BEST investment is getting a reliable parts distributor(not QBP!).

???? Far and away the best I've used- fast, excellent fill rate, and super reliable.

Gotta pay to play
    There was a guy in my area that did this. Had a big van filled with repair stuff and would come out to your house and fix bikes. It seemed like a good idea- I always seemed to notice that my bike had a problem the night before a ride. He normally charged a bit more than a shop for the convenience of coming to your house and working in the off hours.

I haven't seen him advertise on craigslist in a while though so I wonder if he stopped doing it. It seems like a good idea and it would also open the opportunity for you to buy bikes people weren't using on the cheap and then resell them for a profit.

DHMTBR.com
    A couple of things I would add here... First, most bike shops will stock a nominal amount of popular items, and then order most anything else. My LBS laces an order every Monday and gets their shipment on Wednesday - meaning I might have to wait upwards a week (if I ask for something on Tuesday) to get it.

Then there are the home-based issues that have been described here, but also throw in parking, riding/testing, late nights and then the neighbors.

So, my thought has been.... Amazon for parts! They are typically 20-40% cheaper then my LBS and with a Prime account, I can get most things in 2 day with no shipping costs!

For a location, I have been looking into self-storage units. Most every one I have called have no issues with me running a business out of their facility! I,m currently looking into one that is less then 1/4 mile form my home. It's 10x15 with a large overhead garage door, electrical power and access from 4am - 11pm everyday. It would only cost me $90/mo - totally sweet deal!

Most LBS fail to stock enough parts. Period. The average wait time tolerance for a rider needing a part, is less than 24hrs. Don't even go into the prices LBS charge either...

650b me
    Quote Originally Posted by csgaraglino View Post
    For a location, I have been looking into self-storage units. Most every one I have called have no issues with me running a business out of their facility! I,m currently looking into one that is less then 1/4 mile form my home. It's 10x15 with a large overhead garage door, electrical power and access from 4am - 11pm everyday. It would only cost me $90/mo - totally sweet deal!
    That's an interesting idea. If you can pull it off, more power to you! Way to think outsi...err...inside the box.

650b me
    Actually, I go back and forth between two ideas: home-based repair business and custom framebuilding.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    We have two local guys doing weekend repairs at the local swapmeet / flea market. They advertise on Craigslist. Both seem like they are aimed at repairing low end bikes.

How about a mobile-based Van, for on-call repairs?

650b me
    Quote Originally Posted by Zachariah View Post
    How about a mobile-based Van, for on-call repairs?
    Yeah, that's a good niche for the self-starter. The thing is, my wife and I bought a property a couple years ago that came with a sweet, new Morton equestrian barn that we have converted to workshop space (my wife is a part-time silversmith). So I have my heart set on working out of my barn. That, and I really hate city driving, and I'm in the Denver area.

on the flats
    Feb 2011
    A mobil service is the way to go! What does it cost to get an account with qbp and BTI, other than a business license official graphics on a van and some advertising?

Might cost you a few professional tools you dont have, but qbp has those at wholesale!
    i only ride for fun.

Quote Originally Posted by ridefast84 View Post
    A mobil service is the way to go! What does it cost to get an account with qbp and BTI, other than a business license official graphics on a van and some advertising?

Might cost you a few professional tools you dont have, but qbp has those at wholesale!
    Actually, QPB requires a Brick-and-mortar storefront address. I prefer KHS myself, price-wise.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast