mtbr member
    Nov 2013

Do I need to replace small ring too??

Do I need to replace small ring too??-20140228_234219.jpg

I've just replaced the cassette and chain and discovered that the chainrings needed to be replaced as well. This is an older 3 ring crankset (maybe 12 years old or so)on an 8 speed GT. I replaced the middle and outer ring, .. 32 and 44. No problems except that the chain doesn't have enough room now to fall onto the small chainring which I didn't replace. That ring seemed alright and I'm budget friendly so didn't replace it.

..but there just isn't quite enough room with the new rings. At first I thought maybe I didn't have the ring bolts tight enough as I could see a little of the bolt. I tightened them up which brought the middle ring pretty much flush with the cranks but there still isn't enough room for the chain to get contact with the small ring. I think it's off just about a mm or so. I replaced the middle and outer ring with FSA MTB rings compatible with 8/9 speeds. These two rings shift fine with each other. Just gets caught up in small ring.

So, ... what can I do here?? Do I need to replace my small ring with the remaining ring in the FSA set?? Would that work do you think? Is this because I'm trying to replace an older set with new (improved) ones. Seems like the new middle ring has a bigger slanted slope to help shift than the worn ring I replaced. It would make sense that it would inhibit shifting to the small one. Just wondering if I just buy and replace the small one in the set if that would fix the issue. That would be a pain, but I'd do it if I knew it would work. Any advice greatly appreciated. Kinda stuck here.

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    I'll kinda answer my own question if anyone reading this has had the same issue. I thought that if I could just somehow move the small ring just a little it would fix the problem. So, I went out and got 4 small spacers (washers from hardware store) and fitted them between the crank and small ring. This moved the small ring toward the bottom bracket just a little and now everything is fine! I don't know if this is advisable so let me know if this is something bad to do. But in the meantime everything is tight and shifting is good.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Are your cranks also FSA? If they are, I'm not sure why it would be an issue. That being said, if with the addition of the washers it is working fine...run with it. My only concern would be if the chain could fall between the 22t and the 32t, but if there isn't enough room, then rock it!

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    The cranks are Bontrager. But I was having a heck of a time even finding chainrings for 8 speed. Pricepoint had the FSA ones so I bought them thinking everything would fit fine. Didn't quite fit perfect. Doesn't appear to even be enough room for the chain to slip between the 22 and 32. Sometimes you've just got to improvise right??