Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Do I need to bleed my brakes?

649 views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  vkalia 
#1 ·
I just noticed today that the hydraulic brakes on my Niner have become VERY stiff - they only move an inch and half before locking down completely, and it requires a lot of effort to squeeze them more than that. There is a little bit of modulation available, but over a very small range of movement.

They were working fine last I used this bike (about 6-8 weeks ago - been away from home since and only got back a few days ago), and today, I was changing the tires prior to heading out on a trip in a couple of days. To replace the tires, I flipped the bike upside down.

AFAIK, I dont think I pressed the brakes while the wheels were off. And in any case, the brake pads seem properly positioned - there is no rub on the rotor or anything.

I am also noticed a soft squishing/squelching sound coming from the brake levers when I squeeze them, but there is no brake fluid leak or anything.

Any ideas on what do? I've tried putting a blade between the pads and levering it from side to side, but that doesnt seem to have done much. And in any case, like I said, pad rub is not an issue, so not sure if it is a piston thing.

So - do I need to make it bleed or what? And is there a way to do a quick'n'dirty bleed without a bleed kit (dont have one right now, and wont get one in time before my trip).

Basically, I'd like to be able to use a greater range of motion on the levers, in order to get the most out of the modulation.

TIA,
Vandit

See less See more
#3 ·
If they were, wouldnt there be brake oil dripping out somewhere? That's not the case - atleast, if there is a leak, it is completely internal.

Anyway to check and fix this without needing to bleed the hoses afterwards?

Thanks,
Vandit

#4 ·
The fact that you're hearing gurgling sounds leads me to believe they're leaking internally. There won't be any external leakage in all cases. It just means the fluid is bypassing internally. If that's what it is, they'll have to be rebuilt and bled.
You may as well get a bleed kit.

I had to send my Juicy 7s to Avid for a warranty rebuild. To cover the downtime, I bought a set of Juicy 3s. Ended up working out ok for me.

#6 ·
I have Avid Elixir Rs. They are quite new - bike is around 2 months old.

I've ordered a bleed kit but will also post on the Brake Time forum, thanks.

V.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.