Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Jan 2010

DIY Portable/Adjustable Bike Repair Stand

Hi All, I am new to this forum so be nice to me . Recently i made a portable bike repair stand, several DIY threads from this forum has inspired me. It is portable and bike clamp can be adjusted to different angle.I used PA tripod speaker stand as a base. I hope someone will be inspired to make their own.

Complete how to link:
    http://afajarito.blogspot.com/2010/0...air-stand.html

This is how it looks like.

************************************************** ************************************************** ****

XC Ground Pounder
    Holy crap. I just read the article and I want a refund on my Topeak stand!

This is ****ing brilliant.
    Well, since they gave us a KHS forum, I guess I have to come up with something else for a sig.

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    That's awesome...something I can justify to my wife!!! "I built it honey...it didn't cost hardly anything!" Right on!

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    Very clean and well done. That's the best and most functional DIY stand I've seen yet. It's too bad the tripod doesn't sit lower though - I guess that's an easy enough fix. Well done once again.

A.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Very nice looking. Is it stable once the bike is on it? Does it get tippy at all?

My thoughts were about tippiness, too. Clamp head looks heavy, legs don't seem to splay much or are they just not in the full out position?
    "...the people get the government they deserve..."
    suum quique

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by neex
    It's too bad the tripod doesn't sit lower though
    The tripod legs can be adjusted, I can be lowered all the way down. I'll post a pic when i get a chance.

Quote Originally Posted by fightnut
    Is it stable once the bike is on it? Does it get tippy at all?
    It is very stable, it doesn't get tippy at all. You can even spread the tripod legs even more.

Thanks for the nice comments everyone.
    Last edited by Aron_F; 01-05-2010 at 07:31 PM.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    I have some experience with PA/Light stands and more than likely he doesn't have the legs fully extended. At least on my tripods you can set the legs at any distance from the center to fully extended that you want - from real narrow to about a 4ft diameter circle.

To echo everyone else this is an awesome DIY stand - maybe should be a sticky since stands come up ever other day...

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Question for the OP. In the blog you show what I would call the tailpiece - where you use the QR to hold the angle of the clamp - how did you make the 3 cuts?

I know you have listed a chop saw in the materials - are you referring to a chop saw generally used for cutting metal pipe etc or do you mean a miter saw (I know some people that use chop saw for these two saws interchangeably).

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Bikinfoolferlife
    My thoughts were about tippiness, too. Clamp head looks heavy, legs don't seem to splay much or are they just not in the full out position?
    The clamp head is not that heavy, the wood blocks just looks big. I could have made it smaller, but I want it to be more stout and able to hold the bike firmly. You are right the tripod legs are not in the full out position, but even at that position it's stable and not tippy at all.

Stay thirsty my friends
    Wow! A homemade stand that doesn't look like a$$!

Congrats on making something nice and functional from stuff you had laying around.
    "Say good night to the bad guy."
    Tony Montana
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2x_TE...eature=related

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by jbsmith
    Question for the OP. In the blog you show what I would call the tailpiece - where you use the QR to hold the angle of the clamp - how did you make the 3 cuts?

I know you have listed a chop saw in the materials - are you referring to a chop saw generally used for cutting metal pipe etc or do you mean a miter saw (I know some people that use chop saw for these two saws interchangeably).
    I used a chop saw (for cutting metal) not miter saw, don't even try to use miter saw thinking of replacing the blade with a chop saw blade, very dangerous. Miter saw has high RPM motor unlike chop saw. I have a mini chop saw with 6 inch blade, I got it from Harbor Freight years ago, save me time when cutting metals/pipe.

ride more
    Mar 2007
    wow, nice job, looks good.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Aron_F
    I used a chop saw (for cutting metal) not miter saw, don't even try to use miter saw thinking of replacing the blade with a chop saw blade, very dangerous. Miter saw has high RPM motor unlike chop saw. I have a mini chop saw with 6 inch blade, I got it from Harbor Freight years ago, save me time when cutting metals/pipe.

Thanks - Do you happen to know the brand and/or model of the pa stand you used. Hard to find any site that gives dimensions of the stand's pipe. Thought if we had this info it may give a point of reference at least.

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    Sorry, I couldn't find any markings on the stand, not sure what brand is it.

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    As promised, tripod legs in fully extended position.

With tripod legs folded and clamp head dismounted.
    If you noticed, the tripod top tube is kinda long, I could cut it short to be more compact, maybe i'll do that later.

29 some of the time...
    Nice little DIY project there. Getting the tripod cheap is the key to making it worthwhile to do though. Otherwise you have spent an afternoon or more recreating the Feedback Sports Consumer stand, which you can get on sale at around $100.
    Quote Originally Posted by saturnine
    that's the stupidest idea this side of pinkbike.

bikexor
    Nice work, man! Did you intentionally paint it Park blue?
    Little Shred Riding Hood

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by derockus
    Nice work, man! Did you intentionally paint it Park blue?
    Yes I did. I like Park Tool blue color signature.

Thank you all for the inputs/ nice compliments. I updated my blog, added some pictures/entry to answer questions that members have asked here.Thanks again.
    Last edited by Aron_F; 01-07-2010 at 01:13 PM.

West Virginia Cyclist
    You don't know how psyched I am to see this. I have been thinking of ways to do this for months now.

g3h6o3
    Amazing job. Definitely looks professional!
    Check out my SportTracks plugins for some training aid software.

West Virginia Cyclist
    What is the diameter of the vertical tripod pole that attaches to all of the DIY stuff? 25 or 35mm?
    Last edited by lalahsghost; 02-22-2010 at 09:42 PM.

mtbr member
    http://cgi.ebay.com/PA-DJ-Speaker-Mo...item5886114feb

Is this similar to the stand you used?

Obsession? Its a Passion!
    By the looks of it, your stand has 3 or 4 height adjustment clamps. Is this compatible with tall bikes as well?
    Bike to Work,
    Work to Live,
    Live to Bike.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    good job man looks really good

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast