Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    The Ultimate Support workstands use a speaker stand for the base. This is because Ultimate Support also makes speaker and instrument stands, in addition to their work stand and truing stand.
    Nice work, though. I like the clamp. The Ultimate "quick action" clamps usually seem to be more of a pain than anything else.
    Andy

West Virginia Cyclist
    Quote Originally Posted by drmayer
    http://cgi.ebay.com/PA-DJ-Speaker-Mo...item5886114feb

Is this similar to the stand you used?
    drmayer, that is what I used, and I would suggest using an iron/steel one just because the aluminum *FEELS* (not flimsy) but less strong than a steel one would. The pipe thickness is only 1mm and holds my '09 GF cobia (32lbs?) fine... even upside down.

If I had to do it again, I would get steel just for my personal confidence

http://wvcycling.wordpress.com/2010/...-repair-stand/

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    It seems like the PA stand could be replaced and a 1" floor flange could be screwed onto the 6" ifon pipe and this unit could be mouted on to a bench for a bench mount system.

West Virginia Cyclist
    Quote Originally Posted by pakman52
    It seems like the PA stand could be replaced and a 1" floor flange could be screwed onto the 6" ifon pipe and this unit could be mouted on to a bench for a bench mount system.
    Search for some older DIY stand threads here on MTBR and you'll see people who have done this before dinosaurs were roaming around

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy FitzGibbon
    The Ultimate Support workstands use a speaker stand for the base. This is because Ultimate Support also makes speaker and instrument stands, in addition to their work stand and truing stand.
    Nice work, though. I like the clamp. The Ultimate "quick action" clamps usually seem to be more of a pain than anything else.
    Andy

Does Feedback in CO make audio stands? When I saw the base of the above stand, it looks identical to my Ultimate Elite. Identical... I love this stand but I wouldn't give up my quick clamp for anything. Awesome designs. Both of them.

A.

mtbr member
    You inspired me to use up my scrap unistrut
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DIY Portable/Adjustable Bike Repair Stand-047.jpg  

DIY Portable/Adjustable Bike Repair Stand-046.jpg  

West Virginia Cyclist
    Quote Originally Posted by fitter
    You inspired me to use up my scrap unistrut
    That makes me want to learn how to weld even more than before

I'm your density
    My build of the OP's stand:

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    This thing is amazing! This will become one of my first DIY projects when I finish moving. I miss not being able to borrow a buddy's repair stand. Tree limbs just don't keep things steady.

mtbr member
    Does anyone have any recommendations on how to attach the wood blocks to the clamp pieces?

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by timmaayyy
    Does anyone have any recommendations on how to attach the wood blocks to the clamp pieces?
    The very first post has a link to step by step instructions.

I'm your density
    Quote Originally Posted by timmaayyy
    The pipe clamp I got has pre-drilled holes in the jaws for attaching wood pads. It's this one:
    http://www.harborfreight.com/3-4-qua...ase-94053.html

You can drill your own holes if your clamp doesn't have them

I used bolts w/ split & flat washers. On the inner (padded) side of the wood blocks I countersunk for the bolt heads + flat washers.

mtbr member
    I started my build of this DIY stand this past weekend and ran into annoying problems. All the pipes I saw in both stores I checked had a decently sized internal lip at both ends as well as the weld seam down the inside. My 3/4" pipe didn't fit through any of the 1" pieces with a whole lot of filing on the lip and weld seam. Then I moved onto the assembly and cutting and found that the tee fitting was made so crooked that smaller pipe couldn't make it from one 1" pipe to the other through the fitting. Bah! A friend of mine had a little bit of time to throw the part on a lathe at a machine shop and remove a little material inside, but it's still really tight and always wants to bind

I bought my tee fitting at Osh and my pipes at Lowe's. I might take a mulligan and retry this weekend with parts from Home Depot like the OP used, but first I have to get over the frustration of the first try!

mtbr member
    I just saw an old plumbers tripod vice for sale that may be a real sturdy support.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    Here is a link to the DIY where the pics are still showing:

instructables.com/id/DIY-Portable-Bike-Repair-Stand/]DIY Portable Bike Repair Stand

Just add the http to the start

mtbr member
    Not portable, but I used the general concept of the clamp made here (with a few modifications) to make a clamp for my repair stand.

bee
    peace, love, happiness
    Apr 2008
    Awesome work! I really like the pic of the vise grp style clamp.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Nice work, i might have to try this.. i bet mine will not come out as nice.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    This might sound silly but when boring out the "C" shape cut did you use the 1' bit? I used it and it didn't fit around my seatpost. My seatpost is 30.9mm which is like 1.21'. Just get a bigger bit?

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Lessons Learned:
    I had an issue with the 3/4" pipe not fitting through the inside of a 1" pipe. I tried buying them from different locations but no success. I actually cut the threads off the 1" pipe and it worked! I can now slide the 3/4" pipe through a 1" pipe. I guess when they thread the 1" pipe it compresses the inside diameter a bit. I suppose you can bore it out if you need the threads.

A tip for the wooden blocks. I used a 3/4" x 4"W boards and glue them together to create the thickness of a 2x4. But before a glued them, I cut one board at 45 degrees to create a "V" notch. It was prefect for clamping onto 31.8mm posts.

Another tip: Instead of using mouse pads you can also use a roll of rubber lining for kitchen drawers. You know, the ones for you spoons, forks and knives. Contact cemet works great.

I hope that helps. Good luck with your weekend project!
    Last edited by BikerCam; 11-08-2012 at 09:07 AM.

mtbr member
    Better yet, use an old tube. It's free. Some super glue will hold it on. That's what I did with my DIY clamp jaws. And it's cheap, i mean free, to replace if it becomes worn out.

ILIKEBIKES
    Aug 2009
    I didn't have a tripod so I just got a flange for the bottom and mounted it to a pallet and threaded my vertical 5' pipe into it with a 90* at the top with a 18" pipe for the clamp. I did not paint it pretty Park blue yet.

Yours looks pretty slick on the tripod stand but mine did only cost about 10 bucks ;P

mtbr member
    STUNNING!!!! Excellent job and building instructions!! Good for you and thank for sharing the idea!! Not every one has $200 plus for a bike stand.
    Training on Hills Builds Character, That's How I Got To Be One!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2