mtbr member
    Jun 2006

DIY Park PRS-20 thru axle adapter

I already had a PRS-20 for my road bikes and I love it. Unfortunately the new 29'er I bought has a 15mm thru axle so I couldn't put it on my workstand. Sure you can buy an adapter from Park for $60 but why buy it when you can build it!

One day when I needed to hit up the big box home store ( I think I was at Lowes) I took my axle with me and checked out the steel supply area. It turns out that 3/4 tubing has a pretty close ID, I think I got 16ga or so, which IIRC is about .065 wall. From there I just needed some 1.5" square tubing to fit over the arm of the stand. I think Park uses 16 ga for this piece but 14ga should work too. 1/8" (11ga) might work but I think the ID would be too close to 1.25" to fit well. I found my chunk in the steel supply house's scrap pile so that's what I went with.

Cut the tube to 100mm, or a little more and finish off the ends to come up with a finished length of 100mm. Cut the square tube to length, in my case 6" and drill a 3/8" hole in the side so you can weld a nut for the knob to screw into. When you get it all cut/drilled and cleaned up weld it up and hit it with a little paint.

Last edited by russd32; 01-17-2013 at 09:31 PM.

Plays with tools
    I was thinking of making one of these. My thought was to do a mount for 15, 20 and normal open dropouts. And make it all out of stainless so it won't rust with all the washing my stand sees

mtbr member
    Awesome work!

@ customfab - you mean one piece with all 3 mounts on it? That would be pretty cool for those with many different setups.
    Mountain bikers who don't road ride have no legs...
    Road riders who don't mountain bike have no soul...

Plays with tools
    Quote Originally Posted by sasquatch rides a SS View Post
    Awesome work!

@ customfab - you mean one piece with all 3 mounts on it? That would be pretty cool for those with many different setups.
    Exactly. With all of the dropper seat posts coming into the market this style of stand makes more sense for mountain bikes. If your going to go to the trouble to make a custom one, why not make it fit all three fork axles?

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Heck yeah, that would be sweet! I have no need for 20mm but for a shop or someone that works on a lot of different bikes a 3 in one would be ideal. SS would be a good idea too if you wash your bikes in your stand.