mtbr member

A Different Kind of Torque

I have a torque wrench that I use on all my bolts that use a hex or Torx on the bike. How do I torque something that requires a wrench, such as a spanner for the bottom bracket nut?

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Craftsman 10 pc. Metric Crowfoot Wrench Set - Tools - Wrenches - All Wrench Sets

Sent from my iphone 4 onboard the international space station

mtbr member
    Jun 2010

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Nice find, thanks.

I just order a set..

mtbr member
    Thanks for the suggestions guys. The link by threebikes is a good start, but it doesn't address the issue of torquing a spanner wrench.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    What, specifically, are you talking about? There are specialty tools made for just about every fastener/part on a bike that attach to 1/4", 3/8", and 1/2" drive torque wrenches.

You are talking about 'spanner' wrenches, but there are actually a few different kinds of spanner wrenches...the classic definition is the same as a crow's foot socket wrench. If you need pin spanners or lockring (few, large external splines) spanners, the former needs a specific socket (pretty much not found outside of the factories where the stuff is assembled) and the latter doesn't have a torque-wrench-able solution in many cases; a lockring spanner itself is not long enough, in many cases, to over-torque something in regular use (though of course, there are people who will try) but perhaps more importantly, the lockring and the cups are often the same diameter, which would preclude the use of a socket-style tool (such as on the older style XTR Octalink bottom brackets).

A picture is worth a thousand words, though. What does your bottom bracket look like?

mtbr member
    A spanner wrench, which is basically an oversized, thin wrench. 36mm. For the bottom bracket on a FSA Afterburner crank. To tighten the black nut against the bearing to preload the BB30 crank bearing. The manual specifies a torque measurement, so there's got to be something.

banned
    Aug 2012
    Welcome to math

Add the distance from spanner center to torque wrench center ... Distance E

Then determine how this affects your torque arm, and adjust numeric torque value to compensate for additional level length.

Use this calculator.
    Torque Wrench Adapter Extended Calculation - Engineers Edge

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    You are looking for a water pump wrench. Thin, open end wrench sometimes with a square hole in the end of the handle for your torque wrench.

Here's one for sale on e-bay just to give you an idea as to what you are looking for.

36mm open end fan clutch water pump wrench BMW Mercedes | eBay

Use the calculation's that bikeabuser has provided to calculate your correct torque. Alternatively you can just keep the extension at 90 degrees to the wrench (inline with the torque wrench drive center line) so that you don't end up adding any additional length.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005