mtbr member
    May 2013

Did I just mess up my brand new XT chain?

I replaced my old chain and rather than using the old chain as a guide i did the large chainring large cog and bypassed the derailleur, overlapped by 1 link and cut the chain.
    My first mistake is I was keft with 2 inner pieces of chain and was not able to use the shimano link pin. I ended up using a KMC master link.
    I later saw a video that said i needed to compress my rear shock before measuring due to the rear axle moving farther away from the BB during compression.

1. Is it okay to use a masterlink on a shimano chain?
    2. Is it bad that i didnt compress the shock before measuring the chain around the large ring and cog?

Additional info:
    im running XT front/rear der 2x10 on a Pivot 429

Trail Tire TV on blogger
    1. yes, it's OK
    2. only if you use the large-large combo.. just stay away from the top 2 or three grannies on the cassette while on the large ring up front and you'll be fine.
    Going to try and bring Trail Tire TV back. go take a look... http://trailtiretv.blogspot.com/

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Since it's already done you might as well take a look. Put it all together, put it on the large large and let the air our of the shock and cycle the suspension. See if it's so tight you are in danger of damaging anything. You might be lucky and find it's just tight but not to the danger point.
    In theory you will never use the large large but there is always the possibility of hitting the wrong trigger at the wrong time.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    I let the air out if the rear shock and comressed it. It looks as if the rear derailleur would rip right off if i took a hit that big.
    Is there anything wrong with adding an extra materlink or two to add some length?
    I still have the remaining chain that i cut off, is there a way to add in any of those links without compromising my chain?

SPECIALizED
    Dec 2010
    I have added extra links in the past using the Shimano pins. No problems. Also I believe it is big big plus two links.

mtbr member
    You could replace a link or two that you cut off using the Shimano connecting pin that the chain came with.

Plays with tools
    If you choose to add length, which I think is the right call, add them so that the two joints in the chain won't be under load at the same time. You don't want them on the top run of the chain basically. If they are both on a cog, it's fine.

I always size chains in the small/small combo routed through the RD. Keeps this kind of thing from happening. Only catch is that if the wrong RD is on the bike it doesn't work.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    So I think I fixed it. Since i cut the chain originally using only two outer links and used a master to connect them, I still had the linkpin that came with the chain. I bled the air from the shock, compressed it, measured and added two links connecting them with the pin I had. Then finally closed the chain with a masterlink. Looks like Im back in business. Thanks for the help all!