mtbr member

Dialing in a Derailer?

Anyone one got a good DIY guide to follow to help me get a good start on fine tuning my shifting?
    Thank you.

mtbr member
    Same for most rear derailleurs http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z3bVgP_MNwc
    Big Foot Blue KHS XC704r

mtbr member
    Ty for the links, I found some stuff similar to this. Everything is shifting very smoothly now and im not overshifting my low gear and putting my chain into my spoke anymore, although, when I ride my second ring up front and my 2 lowest gears(big cogs) in the back, the chain still rubs on the front derailer. It is the only two gears I have this problem in, I played with my front derailer a lot but I think I got to a point where I will just have to deal with it.

mtbr member
    Hmm...if you were having problems with your chain being pushed into your spoke you may have bent your rear derailleur. Take a look at that, it doesn't need to be bent much to cause a problem.

Old man on a bike
    Quote Originally Posted by DavidR1
    Hmm...if you were having problems with your chain being pushed into your spoke you may have bent your rear derailleur. Take a look at that, it doesn't need to be bent much to cause a problem.
    Or the low limit screw isn't (wasn't?) adjusted correctly.
    "...the people get the government they deserve..."
    suum quique

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by DavidR1
    Or the hanger could be bent as well. Bent mine enough times to get a Park Derailleur Hanger Alignment Gauge (DAG-2). When I can't seem to get consistent shifts at both ends of the cogset, despite seemingly proper adjustment, out comes the alignment gauge.
    Use it, use it, use it while you still have it.

mtbr member
    It had been shifting into my spokes from the day I bought the bike... That problem has been cured. As for the rub on the front derailer while on my middle ring up front and sprocket 8 or 9 in the back, I've realized while riding in the dirt you can't even hear it anyways so I'm happy with my tune job so far. The important thing is that I know what I'm doing.

MTBR Member
    Need to turn the barrel adjuster on the front derailleur in(clockwise) to adjust it on the middle ring. Turning the adjuster in, will release a little tension on the cable - just adjust it until the chain clears(1mm) when it's on gear 1(large gear) in the back.

The barrel adjuster controls the cage location on the middle ring, while the limit screws control where it sits over the big and small rings.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    In most cases this is refered to as the 'user's manual', if you don't have a copy it is available on the 'internet'.

Members who have read this thread: 0