Gimme free stuff

Crank install issue

i bought a Misfit DiSSent frame with various components from a guy a few weeks ago. I was building it this weekend and had no issues until I got to the Cranks. The BB is a Evo Maxx 7000 and the cranks are FSA V-Drive 180mm. The BB was installed on the bike when I received it. The cranks were pulled for shipping.

When I initially installed the cranks there was no problem getting them in. I greased them up and they slid through the BB just fine. I tightened the preload nut to the torque spec and then saw my problem. The cranks were binding. If i gave them a push they would go about a quarter turn and then stop. I took it to my LBS and the guy pulled a 5mm spacer that was in the BB as they thought the preload was compressing the bearings and not allowing it to rotate. I didn't try to install the cranks at the shop because they just dropped everything and did the BB as soon as I walked in, and I didn't want to take any more of their time.

I got home and tried to push the crank back through the BB and I couldn't get it through! I don't know what is going on now. It doesn't seem like the two BB cups are aligned and the spline hits the frame inside the BB.

Any ideas on what could be going on? I think either the crank spline is hitting the frame in the BB, or the BB needs to be tweaked so the two halves are aligned.

Crank install issue-img_20140222_125114_556.jpg
    Note the triangle made by the frame inside the BB. The spline hit this when I pushed it through after the BB adjustment (I could see the scrape marks).
    Crank install issue-img_20140222_124940_794.jpg
    Pic 2! The spline seems to be crooked coming through the BB (notice the gap difference on the opposite sides).
    Crank install issue-img_20140222_094700_134.jpg
    Pic 3! How she will look when she is actually done (YAY!)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparticus
    P.S. The true SSer's motto: "Do it anyway."
    Kona Process 134DL
    Misfit DiSSent 29er [FOR SALE]
    Dawes Deadeye [FOR SALE]

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    1 cup may be cross threaded. i would chase and face the bb shell.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Or u might have a bad bearing in the bottom bracket or seal got squished to tight against the bearing face and is dragging on the bearing. I would definitely pull both cups out inspected them closer.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    This isn't really something you can diagnose with a picture. I would bring it back to the shop or to some other trusted individual to examine the shell/bottom bracket.

It is possible, in my experience, for cranks to be a tight fit in bottom brackets they were not designed for, but the spindle being askew points to some other problem.

mtbr member
    As others have said pull the BB inspect everything, See how well the bearings spin on there own. make sure the threads are all good on both the BB and the cups. It is a pretty cheap tool to get to remove that particular BB I would recommend picking it up and try it yourself first if you are confident enough if not just take it and the crank back to the shop and have them figure it out.
    Rocky Element
    My Attempt at a Blog

Gimme free stuff
    I took it back to the shop and they tore the BB apart. The triangle seen in the picture above is the plastic sleeve in the BB. It got crushed or torqued and deformed. The BB did actually need a spacer, but for some reason a 2.5mm would not fit. Perhaps the BB does need o be faced again... The found a spacer that was 1.8x mm and it worked perfectly. The cranks are still slightly stiff to turn but much better than before. They feel smooth and more or less tight like new bearings feel.

Thanks for your help and happy trails!
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparticus
    P.S. The true SSer's motto: "Do it anyway."
    Kona Process 134DL
    Misfit DiSSent 29er [FOR SALE]
    Dawes Deadeye [FOR SALE]

Plays with tools
    Sounds like you need zero spacers and a wavy washer. Just guessing though as I've never installed said cranks. I'd check the instructions, verify the process and go from there.