Results 1 to 16 of 16
  1. #1
    Class Clown
    Reputation: dundundata's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    1,634

    Confessions of a Wrencher

    I have never used a chain whip. I've always wore a tough mechanic glove and towel to grip the chain with. It can be a PITA for sure

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation: 8iking VIIking's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    909
    Same here, with a leather work glove. No point in spending money on a few links of chain attached to a stick

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    3,157

    Confessions of a Wrencher

    I love a no tool solution, even through I have one of those odd things.

  4. #4
    Plays with tools
    Reputation: customfab's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    4,245
    Your cassette isn't tight enough.

  5. #5
    Class Clown
    Reputation: dundundata's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    1,634
    Quote Originally Posted by customfab View Post
    Your cassette isn't tight enough.
    One of the few things I pull out the torque wrench for, installation is the easy part

  6. #6
    Plays with tools
    Reputation: customfab's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    4,245
    Quote Originally Posted by dundundata View Post
    One of the few things I pull out the torque wrench for, installation is the easy part
    Out of all the things worth torquing to spec on a modern bicycle that's not one of them.

  7. #7
    Class Clown
    Reputation: dundundata's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    1,634
    Not sure where you're going with this so I'll just stop. If you have a point to make then make it.

  8. #8
    Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Reputation: shiggy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 1998
    Posts
    48,134

    Confessions of a Wrencher

    Quote Originally Posted by dundundata View Post
    I have never used a chain whip. I've always wore a tough mechanic glove and towel to grip the chain with. It can be a PITA for sure
    I bought my chain whips (a pair) when freewheels were the norm and I used custom cog stacks.

    I have used the towel trick with cassettes, but it is just too easy to grab my 30-year old whip and be done with it.

    Never used a torque wrench on a cassette lockring, though my lockring tool has a 15" handle brazed into it.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    2,686
    While i don't advocate home brew methods of removing a cassette hopefully you used a lockring tool and not a hammer and screw driver. My 20 year old chainwhip probably has a seven speed chain on it and it does not fit my xo1 casssette too well. May have to use your gloved method.

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    3,157

    Confessions of a Wrencher

    These are cheap tools that last forever and make the work easy. I never mind buying tools whether for bikes or home improvement. They always save me money in the end.

  11. #11
    Class Clown
    Reputation: dundundata's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    1,634
    Sheesh I thought we could have a fun little thread here but I guess we can't have nice things. Just forget it.

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation: 8iking VIIking's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    909

    Re: Confessions of a Wrencher

    Quote Originally Posted by dundundata View Post
    Sheesh I thought we could have a fun little thread here but I guess we can't have nice things. Just forget it.
    Fun is strictly forbidden here, except for OC

  13. #13
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    690
    Quote Originally Posted by Ratt View Post
    While i don't advocate home brew methods of removing a cassette hopefully you used a lockring tool and not a hammer and screw driver. My 20 year old chainwhip probably has a seven speed chain on it and it does not fit my xo1 casssette too well. May have to use your gloved method.
    You could always replace the chain on the whip with chain that fits your cassette...
    Quote Originally Posted by ridelikeafatkid
    "MOMMY, I WANT TO RIDE LIKE THAT FAT KID!" true story.

  14. #14
    Plays with tools
    Reputation: customfab's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    4,245
    Quote Originally Posted by dundundata View Post
    Not sure where you're going with this so I'll just stop. If you have a point to make then make it.
    Thought I was pretty straight forward. In case anyone missed it, torquing cassette lockrings to spec is academic at best. I routinely work with some of the best mechanics in the world and none of them bother with a torque wrench for this task. For the simple reason that that interface is without problem regardless of how heavy fisted the installer was. I know lead techs for all three component manufactures in the US and none of them bother to torque lockrings in practice.

    MTBR needs more light hearted discussion, but the tooltime board isn't the best section.

    Quote Originally Posted by shiggy View Post

    Never used a torque wrench on a cassette lockring, though my lockring tool has a 15" handle brazed into it.
    holly leverage batman!

  15. #15
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    1,909
    I don't use a chainwhip at home. I have a length of chain tied to my workbench, place wheel on workbench, wrap chain around the cassette, then pop the lockring tool in there to remove the cassette. Piece of cake.

  16. #16
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    116
    Quote Originally Posted by customfab View Post
    Out of all the things worth torquing to spec on a modern bicycle that's not one of them.
    True that.

    To the OP a chain whip is cheap and so easy to use. Why make life hard. If you need it more then 2x just buy the tool.
    Can you say Full XO #22.68 salsa moto rapido

Similar Threads

  1. Confessions
    By heyyall in forum Off Camber (off topic)
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 12-06-2013, 05:38 PM
  2. Confessions from the f&*k wits
    By Dean Learner in forum General Discussion
    Replies: 29
    Last Post: 03-07-2013, 07:36 PM
  3. North Face Wrencher jersey, casual tech pockets
    By westin in forum Apparel and Protection
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 06-21-2012, 05:07 PM
  4. Confessions of a 29"er fanboy.
    By jeff in forum Vintage, Retro, Classic
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 05-06-2012, 04:21 PM
  5. Confessions of a commuting noob
    By rmac in forum Commuting
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 03-19-2011, 03:04 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •