Muhuhahaha

cone wrenches vs pedal wrench

Looking at a few tools to start building a collection. Besides cone wrenches being used for cone bolts can you use them for a pedal wrench? What is the difference between the cones and a pedal wrench. What are other uses for cone wrenches? As far as pedal wrenches go dose anyone just use regular craftman wrenches or would there be a big difference? Like I said I am starting to build a tool kit. Not needing and specal tools yet like flywheel remover. Just looking at wrenches and stuff that will be used more often. So I know what to buy up front with tools from park, pedros ect.. and what cheaper prices tools I can use in places of other tools that will get the job done like from craftsmans or department store tools.
    Last edited by Demonsmasher; 02-03-2007 at 09:14 PM.

ravingbikefiend
    Apr 2006
    Cone wrenches are for adjusting cone nuts and should not be used on pedals as they aren't nearly strong enough.

A good quality 15mm open ended wrench makes a decent pedal wrench if you can find one that is thin / flat enough to fit between the pedal and the crank although one might desire a little extension on the wrench for really tight pedals.

I don't have a flywheel remover...do you mean freewheel?

Having those as well as a freehub tool and chain whip (which is an easy thing to make) are good additions to one's bike kit.

Most of my tools are general purpose such as my wrenches, sockets and drivers, allen wrenches, and then there are bike specific tools like;

cable cutters - (good ones are worth their weight in gold)
    chain ring bolt tool
    chain tool
    spoke wrenches
    tire levers
    I ride with 65'er...he's a mountain goat....But then again, we need to throw him in the mud and pack his pockets with lead shot before a scale will read him. - Psycho Mike

-Environmental stickers don't mean shite when they are stuck to CARS!-

Muhuhahaha
    sorry yea I ment to type freewheel. I don't really see me needing a hub tool yet maybe down the road. I will buy that as i need it. Right now I am just looking at doing basic stuff adjusting stuff. So I guess I'll get a spoke tool and cable puller and cutters. Right now as much as I ride keeping things snug and clean is my main thing. Maybe later into the spring I will start getting the hub tools and chain whip. Right now I will just use my chain tool on my multi tool to remove the chain. Whats anyones thoughts on Pyramid tools? Is thier pedal tool just as good? and bike wrench brand tool says there made my park? I have noticed on some ebay auctions for park tool pedal wrench a pw1 and a pw3. Are thses the same thing just differnet year models? They say the same size, why dose park change the tool part number is it just updating for what year they are made?
    Last edited by Demonsmasher; 02-04-2007 at 12:02 AM.

ravingbikefiend
    Apr 2006
    Park tools come in different grades and the pw3 and pw4 are their current professional series pedal wrenches... the pw 4 has a different head design to offer better mechanical advantage and neither should never wear out under normal usage.

Park makes high quality tools and uses quality tool steel... I just modified a FR6 BMX freewheel tool at my shop as the centre hole would not allow the tool to pass the outer locknut and engage the freewheel. This forced me to remove the locknut before using the tool which throws out the bearing set so I'd have to readjust and reset things after the freewheel was removed. I do this fairly often in the course of building and servicing my SS bikes and wanted a better system for removing the freewheel.

I machined the tool on my lathe using carbide inserts and was still required to make small .020 passes as I enlarged the centre from due to the hardness of the steel. I also refaced the nut as it's finish was a little on the rough side.

I'm fortunate to be able to work in a field where I can fabricate just about anything so if I need a tool, I can just make it.
    I ride with 65'er...he's a mountain goat....But then again, we need to throw him in the mud and pack his pockets with lead shot before a scale will read him. - Psycho Mike

-Environmental stickers don't mean shite when they are stuck to CARS!-