mtbr member
    May 2010

Complete Tool Kit?

I want to start doing the wrenching on my own bike. I have a pretty solid set of tools including a good in/lb torque wrench, allen & torx bits, and a host of other hand tools.

But this winter, I'd like to totally disassemble my 2010 Specialized Rockhopper for paint and a buildup using new SRAM X9 drivetrain. This ought to be a vast improvement over the X5 stuff currently on there. I'll need to remove everything from the frame from the handlebars down to the bottom bracket.

What specialty bike tools does everyone recommend to complete this?

Apologies if there is a good list already out there I don't know about. If someone can point me to it, I'd be really grateful.

mtbr member
    May 2010
    By the way, I should mention that I'm looking for recommendations on quality tools, not just inexpensive import stuff good for a couple uses.

mtbr member
    Duct tape iz like teh Force. It has a Lite side and a Dark side and it holdz the Universe together.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by macatron View Post
    I want to start doing the wrenching on my own bike. I have a pretty solid set of tools including a good in/lb torque wrench, allen & torx bits, and a host of other hand tools.

But this winter, I'd like to totally disassemble my 2010 Specialized Rockhopper for paint and a buildup using new SRAM X9 drivetrain. This ought to be a vast improvement over the X5 stuff currently on there. I'll need to remove everything from the frame from the handlebars down to the bottom bracket.

Apologies if there is a good list already out there I don't know about. If someone can point me to it, I'd be really grateful.
    Keep in mind, in case you care, painting your bike voids Specialized's lifetime frame warranty.

Otherwise, you can tear the bike down to bare frame with allen wrenches and a screwdriver until you get to the crank. Not sure exactly what you need there, I've never taken mine off my RockHopper, but I've had everything else off my bike at one time or another. So really, you'll need like one specialty tool or have your LBS do it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Psycle151 View Post
    Friggin' coward. Give me a red chiclet instead of debating like a man. You don't deserve your green blocks.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Squash View Post
    Depends, if you intend to completely strip the bike down to frame, i.e. remove cranks, bottom bracket and head set, then you'll need to add the following tools,
    Opps, yeah, I forgot about the headset.
    Quote Originally Posted by Psycle151 View Post
    Friggin' coward. Give me a red chiclet instead of debating like a man. You don't deserve your green blocks.

mtbr member
    Jul 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by macatron View Post

Depends, if you intend to completely strip the bike down to frame, i.e. remove cranks, bottom bracket and head set, then you'll need to add the following tools,

Crank Puller, Park CCP-44 Park Tool Co. » CCP-44 : Crank Puller for Splined Cranks : Crank Tools

Bottom Bracket Tool, Park BBT-22 Park Tool Co. » BBT-22 : Bottom Bracket Tool : Bottom Bracket

Head Cup Remover, Park RT-1 Park Tool Co. » RT-1 : Head Cup Remover : Headset

And for re-install on the head set cups:

Home Mechanic Bearing Cup Press, HHP-3 Park Tool Co. » HHP-3 : Home Mechanic Bearing Cup Press : Headset

If you don't intend to replace the head set, or remove the crank or bottom bracket then none of the above tools are needed.

It should also be noted that the above tools are based on the stock components of the 10 Rockhopper, and the re-use of those components. If you intend to upgrade the crank and bottom bracket then other tools are likely to be required.

Otherwise the tools that you have now will do just fine.

Good Dirt
    "I do whatever my Rice Cripsies tell me to!"

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Wow, really helpful! Thanks for all the great recommendations. Can't wait to check out these links, too.

Mike

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Tool kit
    I think a lot of those tools in a bike kit are overpriced. park tools are generally overpriced and I avoid tools marketed as "bike" tools.
    these are the tools I use:
    general tools
    screwdriver
    adjustable wrench
    set of hex metric wrenches 13 Piece Metric Ball End Hex Key Set
    15mm wrench (vs "pedal") wrench. I like a ratcheting wrench set here like
    Metric Ratcheting Combo Wrench Set - 7 Piece
    dremel, cuts cleaner and easier than cable cutter. never gets dull. takes a little longer which totally non issue for non pro mechanic.
    marine grease loaded in to syringe metal - metal interfaces(syringes found on amazon) poly poly or synthetic grease for plastic/rubber - metal interfaces
    sythetic motor oil in bottle (light lube for chain and cables)
    loctite
    torque wrench
    http://forums.mtbr.com/where-best-deals/harbor-freight-1-4-torque-wrench-$9-99-a-805961.html
    security bit set (includes hex bits for your torque wrench)
    100 Piece Security Bit Set
    (zip ties around fork to true your wheel. We’re not builders here, this is fine for keeping your wheels in true enough
    gloves heavy duty 6.3 mil nitrile powder free $13 on amazon
    chain lube - 10w-30w synthetic motor oil

bike specific tools:
    bike multitool (includes chain breaker + spoke wrench). I don't think additional chain breaker or spoke wrench necessary for occasional home mechanic. my favorite was: Topeak Hexus II Multi-tool but the Spoke wrenches are awful on the Topeak. Back to trusted Crankbrothers 19 multitool.
    cone wrench in (2) 13/14mm and (2) 15/16mm (about $5 each)
    https://www.google.com/search?espv=2....0.GGVkbRO_tFo
    3in1 chain whip + external bottom bracket tool (on ebay)
    various cassette lockring tools for the different lockrings I have
    1 tube repair kit for each bike
    large floor bike pump
    small bike pump for repairs on trail
    whatever hydraulic bleed kit found on ebay (I get the generic ones, the OEM ones are overpriced imho).
    digital calipers
    Amazon.com: iGaging IP54 Electronic Digital Caliper 0-6" Display Inch/Metric/Fractions Stainless Steel Body: Home Improvement
    Good + affordable caliper / micrometer recommendation? - Page 2
    Last edited by bob13bob; 05-08-2014 at 11:36 AM.