mtbr member
    Nov 2011

Compact Portable Screwdriver

Name:  Finished item_small.jpg
Views: 252
Size:  59.0 KB
    I am not big on multitools. They are awkward to use and rarely contain just the tools you need. I carry short 4mm & 5mm hex wrenches, which cover the majority of emergency repairs. I sometimes also carry a small Park CT-5 chain tool. I have been looking for a portable Phillips screwdriver for derailleur adjustments, but could not find anything I liked -- heavy enough to do the job yet small enough to go in my CamelBak without poking a hole in it.

So, I purchased a Tekton 2-in-one reversible-bit Phillips/Straight pocket screwdriver and modified it. They are readily available on EBay or Amazon, but you might find one or something similar at an auto parts or hardware store. A simple modification, and I have a great small, portable screwdriver at low cost.

Compact Portable Screwdriver-screwdriver-components_small.jpg

Cut the bit in half, and bevel the edges where you cut.

Next, you need to put a spacer inside the handle. If you don't the bit will push almost all the way into the handle. You need to insert something in the hole to stop the bit soon after it passes the metal socket insert. I found a ball-point pen with a larger-than-normal ink tube that nicely fits thru the hex socket insert. Sorry, I do not see any brand on it. Cut off about 22mm of the ink tube to use as the spacer. Unless the pen is brand new, it won't leak ink or damage the pen.

There is an o-ring in the handle that prevents the bit from falling out. Remove it with a crochet hook. Drop the spacer into the hole, then reposition the o-ring, using your crochet hook. The spacer will rattle around inside the handle, but the O-ring will prevent it from falling out. Position the O-ring above the metal insert so that the bit will go thru it when inserted. The handles come in red and black. If you have a red handle, you can hold the handle up to a flashlight. The light will filter thru the plastic and illuminate the inside. I don't know if light will penetrate a black handle.

If you plan to use these screwdrivers as-is, check the position of the o-ring. They are often installed improperly from the factory, resulting in the o-ring getting pushed to the top of the handle and no longer holding the bit.

The weight is 15 grams with one bit, and 25g if you carry both. I still need to paint the bit (and my Allen keys) bright orange in case I drop them in the leaves.

Plays with tools
    Well done.

Is the Philips bit big enough for a limit screw?

mtbr member
    Good job, yes, I have done the same over the years with my tools.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011

Re: Compact Portable Screwdriver

Thanks--I'm honored!

The Phillips appears to be size #1. It fits all four Shimano limit screws & the B screw perfectly.

Plays with tools
    Shimano limit screws actually take a #2.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Ok, it's definitely smaller than that. Maybe I should carry the flat blade? The screw takes both as I recall. Not at home now.

Thanks.

Plays with tools
    It can be done with a #1 or with a flat blade in a pinch. Since it's a trailside tool it's not going to see a bunch of use (don't think I've ever adjusted my own limit screw trailside actually) and it shouldn't be big issue so long as you don't have aluminum limit screws.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    My FD is XTR, so maybe it has aluminum screws. But the #1 fits pretty well. I position the derailleur so it isn't pressing against the screw, so it takes very little torque to turn it.

don't think I've ever adjusted my own limit screw trailside actually
    Good point. I have had to do a little fine tuning on the trail after replacing a derailleur, and can see needing it after a crash. But it isn't the sort of thing that is going to leave you stranded.

Thanks!

Trail Tire TV on blogger
    should all work.. just so everyone knows, a #1 philips driver can be made to work pretty well with #2 screws to some extent by grinding just a bit of the point off the driver which will allow it to set down inside the screw a tad more.. yo have to be careful not to go to far with it but it'll help keep it from striping as easy... it's NOT perfect like a proper #2 but it can help get a better bite.
    Going to try and bring Trail Tire TV back. go take a look... http://trailtiretv.blogspot.com/

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Thanks, I didn't know that! I will do it. Heck, a #2 looks big for those little derailleur screws. So I will grind off a very little, and have the only #1 1/2 on the trail

Plays with tools
    Quote Originally Posted by thomllama View Post
    should all work.. just so everyone knows, a #1 philips driver can be made to work pretty well with #2 screws to some extent by grinding just a bit of the point off the driver which will allow it to set down inside the screw a tad more.. yo have to be careful not to go to far with it but it'll help keep it from striping as easy... it's NOT perfect like a proper #2 but it can help get a better bite.
    OR you could just use the right tool to begin with. It's not expensive or hard to find.