Thread: CO2 pump

mtbr member
    Jan 2010

CO2 pump

First off, I would like to say thank you for a great site, that helped me with my first bike with the reviews. I ended up with a trek 4300.

I know from other forums, this topic can lead into a flame war, which this post is not intended for. The reason why I am looking at CO2 pumps for mountain bikes is because of time. My girlfriend and I will be riding a great deal when the weather warms up, and I don't want to waste time. My question is that will a CO2 cartage, 12 or 16 gram, be enough to fill a mountain bike tire, or will 2 be needed?

mtbr member
    At least 16g for a MTB tire, sometimes that's not enough for bigger tires. I like to use the Innovations 40g big air, it can fill 2 tires.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    I believe I have the 16 and it was enough to get by. I would suggest though that you buy one let the air out of your tire and try it. Not only will this give you the feeling on how it works but you will also see how full it gets the tire and then know what to carry. Besides better to do it in the comfort of your home and waste a few bucks on a cartridge then to try and figure it out on the side of the road/trail.

mtbr member
    Jul 2003

Just remember one thing....

a CO2 inflator can only do as many flats as you have cartridges. A good mini pump can do as many flats as you have tubes or patchs for. When riding off road in back country I carry a quick flate CO2 inflator and two carts, a spare tube, a load of patches, and a mini pump!

Believe me, it's a bigger waste of time to have one more flat than you have cartridges for and have to walk out, than it is to have to take a little extra time and inflate a patched up tire with a mini pump!

Depends on where your riding of course. Around town, on the bike path, local trails, or way back in the woods. Just use caution and a little bit of common sense. Total reliance on a CO2 inflator can be folly!

Good Dirt.
    "I do whatever my Rice Cripsies tell me to!"

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Squash
    a CO2 inflator can only do as many flats as you have cartridges. A good mini pump can do as many flats as you have tubes or patchs for. When riding off road in back country I carry a quick flate CO2 inflator and two carts, a spare tube, a load of patches, and a mini pump!

Believe me, it's a bigger waste of time to have one more flat than you have cartridges for and have to walk out, than it is to have to take a little extra time and inflate a patched up tire with a mini pump!

Depends on where your riding of course. Around town, on the bike path, local trails, or way back in the woods. Just use caution and a little bit of common sense. Total reliance on a CO2 inflator can be folly!

Good Dirt.

Very true. So far I have been lucky and no flats last year but I carry two CO2 cartridges and my wife has 2 as well. We both carry new tubes but that's it. This winter I picked up some patches, tire boots and still need a decent mini pump.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    zero flats two years ago.
    3 flats last season.
    1 flat so far this winter.

A CO2 inflator isn't a bad idea but a pump keeps you moving most all the time.

Epic rides I carry two extra tubes, a patch kit, the pump and boot material for tire problems.

When I find a CO2 setup cheap I'll get one but so far the only times I've used one it has been provided by one of the 3-20 other guys on the trip.

Members who have read this thread: 0