Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Jun 2013

Check out this multitool I designed. It's called Ringtool. As compact as possible.

BTW it opens bottles too..

Let me know what you guys think: Ringtool - The World's Most Useful and Compact Multi-tool by Reductivist — Kickstarter

I will try to implement suggestions into future designs. Thanks for your feedback.

Bro
    Where I do my thinking
    Wow. Great concept, very well done. That's the first thing I've seen on Kickstarter that I actually like, and I would definitely buy one if it makes it to production, especially since I ride to class every day. If I have any spare money before the campaign ends, I'll make sure to leave a contribution.
    I've made some bad decisions like taking the gears off my bike. So here's the warning: Do not as I say, nor as I do.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Awesome, thanks I'm glad you like it!

Plays with tools
    How are you going to manufacture the production tools?

mtbr member
    When do you expect the tools to be on the market? Do you have an idea of a price yet?
    Mountain bikers who don't road ride have no legs...
    Road riders who don't mountain bike have no soul...

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by sasquatch rides a SS View Post
    When do you expect the tools to be on the market? Do you have an idea of a price yet?
    I will have parts ready this fall. I am thinking $24.99. Slightly higher than I would like but it is more expensive to make things here in the states as I was determined to do.The tools will be investment cast in the same hardened/tempered stainless steel Leatherman uses to make their multitools.

Two Wheeled Terror
    Great idea!! Its always amazing that the greatest ideas are a very simple concept!! I am definitely going to order one.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk 2

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Thanks Kryptoroxx

mtbr member
    Looks great, noticed you said you were having issues with the 2mm wrench, ever think to consider putting a 2.5mm wrench on there? It's the common size for lockon grips, pedal pins, and some reach adjust screws on brake levers.

Two Wheeled Terror

Re: Check out this I designed. It's called Ringtool. As compact as possible.

And with the ring being so small....you could make another ring pretty easily for an expanded capability. It is only a ring

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    I had considered the 2.5mm wrench. After removing the 2mm I rather liked the symmetry of the 8 tools around the outside. The spacing of the heads seemed optimum for function as well.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Kryptoroxx View Post
    And with the ring being so small....you could make another ring pretty easily for an expanded capability. It is only a ring
    That's true. I had been toying with the idea of making a ringtool for other professions i.e. IT guys, or automotive related.

More pie please
    T30 torx chain ring bolts are so common now, all multi-tools should have this (but few do).
    Long live long rides

Two Wheeled Terror

Camping or outdoor type toolset might work? Maybe a riggers or diving tool ring...??

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Skyline35 View Post
    T30 torx chain ring bolts are so common now, all multi-tools should have this (but few do).
    Noted. What do you guys think about a larger diameter tool that had more heads? To me, anything much larger doesn't work on a keychain.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    [QUOTE=Kryptoroxx;10480318]Camping or outdoor type toolset might work? Maybe a riggers or diving tool ring...??

Yes the possibilities are kind of endless... and I am only one guy! I'm sure Asia will beat me to it..

mtbr member
    I like having one thats a mix for a commuter tool, but maybe make one that's all hex heads and another that had a couple different sized flat head, Phillips and torxs heads. T10, T25 and T30 would be nice to see. I wonder if you could find a way to incorporate a spoke wrench or two between some heads.
    Mountain bikers who don't road ride have no legs...
    Road riders who don't mountain bike have no soul...

Two Wheeled Terror

Patent? Its a great idea to bring to market man. Then Asia can make them for you

Two Wheeled Terror

And patent the ring concept....not the specific toolset. You can get to that later. Its your idea and protection is #1. Now if someone says we want to make these or whatever....take your cut off the top....that's how you retire. Just tell me you will refuse it if its a Chinese company....they always make cheap stuff.

This is reminding me of the "jump to conclusions map" from Office Space lol

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Patent? Its a great idea to bring to market man. Then Asia can make them for you
    Can't afford a patent right now. Also don't think Patent law means much over there: The bizarre copycat architecture of China

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by sasquatch rides a SS View Post
    I like having one thats a mix for a commuter tool, but maybe make one that's all hex heads and another that had a couple different sized flat head, Phillips and torxs heads. T10, T25 and T30 would be nice to see. I wonder if you could find a way to incorporate a spoke wrench or two between some heads.
    There will be a spoke wrench on V2 for sure.

Two Wheeled Terror

Quote Originally Posted by Reductivist View Post
    Can't afford a patent right now. Also don't think Patent law means much over there: The bizarre copycat architecture of China

You've got a point....but maybe if you sell a few you can get it patented soon enough.

Plays with tools
    And patent the ring concept....not the specific toolset. You can get to that later. Its your idea and protection is #1. Now if someone says we want to make these or whatever....take your cut off the top....that's how you retire. Just tell me you will refuse it if its a Chinese company....they always make cheap stuff.

This is reminding me of the "jump to conclusions map" from Office Space lol

It's up to the patent holder to enforce said patent. Unless the idea is going to gross a fair bit annually (~1million plus) It's probably not worth patenting. Especially if your concern is chinese ripoffs that are harder and more expensive to shut down.

Two Wheeled Terror

Quote Originally Posted by customfab View Post
    It's up to the patent holder to enforce said patent. Unless the idea is going to gross a fair bit annually (~1million plus) It's probably not worth patenting. Especially if your concern is chinese ripoffs that are harder and more expensive to shut down.
    Hmmm I did not realize that. Thanks for the info. I guess op can decide whether it will gross enough. I wouldn't know what it takes to get that many sold but its a swell idea especially if it isn't a poorly made piece.

Five is right out
    Sep 2006
    Looks like a great idea.

One bit of feedback: I find that the 6 and 8mm sizes are commonly used with pedals. The short length on the ring tool would render them unable to be used for that task- think about making those heads longer?

Though given that pedals might need a fair bit of torque, not sure the ringtool is designed for that application in mind.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast