mtbr member
    Jan 2004

cheaper suspension bearing presses

Has anyone used the Boca Bearing Press for working on suspension linkage bearings:

or harbor freight

Any other suggestions for a more affordable press with bushings. I'm probably going to bite the bullet and get the Enduro one as I'm tired of the the socket approach, with having to dig for the right socket and misaligning them
    My training BLOG

training BLOG for a regular joe Married w/ children, Full time Job, No Genetic talent, wanna-be mountain bike racer

Morris Training Primer

mini clyde

anyone tried these?

Have looked at these, but haven't bought in yet ... Economy Bearing Press

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    I use bolts, nuts and some washers, works just fine, these bearing are not under high pressure tolerances they go in pretty easy.
    Giant XTC 2 29er
    KHS Flagstaff 29er FS
    Neon Bow Trials Bike
    Norco Fluid 9.2 29er FS
    Norco BIGFOOT FATTY

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    the harbor freight kits are too big to use with bikes

mtbr member
    I was browsing through Harbor Freights website and saw this kit: Bushing/Bearing Set , I wonder if this one will work to install the bearings?

I ruined 3 bearings installing them using the c-clamp and socket method, did not go in straight and when I straightened them out they never spun smoothly again. Kind of pissed off at myself for doing that and now out $17 for 3 bearings .

Hopefully I can find a not so expensive proper tool, so I don't end up destroying more bearings.
    Last edited by parkp81; 04-25-2013 at 10:11 PM.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    That second picture looks like a race and seal set for auto use. You can borrow a set from most auto supply chains for a small refundable deposit. Looks rather large for bikes tho.

As for that Harbor Freight set referenced in the last post -- I wish it came in Metric for bike use. I have never replaced a bearing in a bike, and don't know whether it would work or not. I am guessing it would be better than a socket .

FWIW I find their hand tools to be of good quality. I am buying more Harbor Freight and less Craftsman. I just put together a set for the spare car for less than $50.