mtbr member

Cheap Presta Chuck that works great!

Just thought I would share this in case someone else is looking for a chuck for presta valves. All my bikes are presta now so I searched and decided just to do this rather than buy all kinds of parts . Forgive me if this has been done before but I searched and didnt find anyone doing it this way.

First Get one of these from HF (about 9 bucks)

Then get a drill. I stepped up in bits until I got to my 3/16 bit (be carful not to go down too much as you could puncture the hose.

After your done I just connected to my Air Compressor to to blow out the metal shavings. Should end up like this(that metal clip is what hold it to the Presta valve. Make sure

Done. Works like a charm!

All it took was 10 bucks 5 minutes and a steady hand. Hope this is not repetitive.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Looks good -- what do you drill out exactly? The center thing that pushes down the Schrader valve? Would love to see a before and after pic .

Also, can you determine what thread the gauge is? I would want to replace it with something in the 0-60 PSI persuasion.

Tire Inflator with Gauge

Thanks!

mtbr member
    Dang thats one thing I screwed up on. didnt take the before picture. It is just the little pin that pushes on the schrader valve though.

遅すぎ
    Apr 2008
    If you don't want to be adventurous with the drill, I can attest this particular chuck great as is with a presta adapter.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    I got the same inflator with gauge and added a presta end I got from the bike store. It works fine but the gauge is really not that good for low pressure around 20. I try to get 18psi and you just can't get the same psi with the gauge range. I have tried to find another gauge like 0-60 with no luck. I think i would have been better to buy the one off ebay for around 29.00.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    You can also take one of those inflators and then use the PretaCycle Presta head chuck on the end.

Quote Originally Posted by 4Crawler View Post
    You can also take one of those inflators and then use the PretaCycle Presta head chuck on the end.
    that thing looks almost identical to the Prestaflator. wouldn't be too tough to get a real Presta chuck onto it.

For that matter, what my shop uses is just a bunch of basic fittings connected together. the Presta chuck just snaps into the Schraeder chuck. it's more robust than the Prestaflator that I have. I may wind up going that route, too. The parts are probably available via QBP.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    As far as I can tell the main part is identical, down to the threads in the body that the hose screws into. Only difference is that the HF unit has a clip-on Schrader chuck crimped onto the end of the hose, the presta cycle hose has a screw-on Schrader chuck instead. Then their Presta chucks screw into the Schrader as you describe. You can either cut off the clip-on chuck and get their screw-on chuck and use a hose clamp (or get the hose re-crimped) or just buy their hose w/ chuck already attached.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by dlennard View Post
    I got the same inflator with gauge and added a presta end I got from the bike store. It works fine but the gauge is really not that good for low pressure around 20. I try to get 18psi and you just can't get the same psi with the gauge range. I have tried to find another gauge like 0-60 with no luck. I think i would have been better to buy the one off ebay for around 29.00.
    Here is a source for all sorts of gauges:
    McMaster-Carr

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Thanks! It seems drilling out the pin inside is the secret. I'll give it a try.

Appreciate the info!

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    You can also just cut the hose in half and use one of these:

Amazon.com: Topeak SmartHead Bicycle Floor Pump Upgrade Kit: Sports & Outdoors

There are a couple different fittings you can use to do this but i have the one i linked above and it works wonderfully. Just cut the hose, jam the correct size fitting inside of the hose, and put a hose clamp on it. It locks on to the stem (either presta or shrader) with the flick of the lever.
    Blur LT & Highball