mtbr member

Cheap Finish Line oil at Lowes?

Over in the grease/oil section at Lowes, there are a bunch of different kinds of oil for chainsaws, labelled Dupont but manufactured by Finish Line.

Does anybody have experience with these as bicycle chain lubes? I've never used Finish Line before but I have to wonder whether it is the exact same as Finish Line Dry/Wet/Wax lubes but relabeled for chainsaws and half the price.
    Shop DuPont 4 Oz. Non-Stick Lubricant at Lowes.com

Shop DuPont 4 Oz. Chain-Saver Lubricant at Lowes.com

Shop DuPont 4 Oz. Multi-Use Lubricant at Lowes.com

There are a few more, but here are a few examples.

mtbr member
    I read that alot of folks use chainsaw chain lube on their bike chains. They cut it with mineral spirits I think. Some do the same with motor oil and report good results. I like the chainsaw idea. A jug of that and can of spirits will keep you in bike chain lube for a lifetime.

I do have Finish Line wet lube and I don't care for it. Very sticky. I use Tri-Flow at the moment and it works well. I might try the above mentioned DIY recipe in the future to see how that works.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Nubster View Post
    I read that alot of folks use chainsaw chain lube on their bike chains. They cut it with mineral spirits I think. Some do the same with motor oil and report good results. I like the chainsaw idea. A jug of that and can of spirits will keep you in bike chain lube for a lifetime.

I do have Finish Line wet lube and I don't care for it. Very sticky. I use Tri-Flow at the moment and it works well. I might try the above mentioned DIY recipe in the future to see how that works.
    I used it on my old fixed gear and it seemed to last forever but it was really messy and I'm not sure how it would work on a multispeed bike (shouldnt act any different).

Mainly just wondering if it's the same as the bike shop Finish Line, just with a different logo and at half the price. I've never used Finish Line lubes before but at this price point it might be worth a shot.

mtbr member

mtbr member
    I saw a post about this a while ago and bought a bottle of the Chain Saver. Been using it for a couple months and so far seems to work as good as any other kind I've used (Finish Line Ceramic Max and Dry lubes).

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    I've been using the Dupont Teflon stuff that Lowe's has since I read the thread below and it's worked great. The only difference I've noticed between it and the Finish Line labeled stuff I used to get at REI is that the labled stuff is white/milky colored whereas the stuff from Lowe's is more clear in color.

Teflon lubricant at Lowe's

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    I'm fine with Prolink chain lube. Ive tried a bunch of stuff. Non-bicycle specific oil, short of using astroglide, used on chains tend to accumulate too much dirt. Dry lube suck in dry dusty conditions. Prolink works all year around.

Wet lubes for the win.

mtbr member
    I use the Dupont Multi-Use lube, but found it doesn't last very long. I've been using Squirt Lube, and it lasts much longer, but doesn't have Teflon in it. I'm trying the Chainsaver lube now, but preliminary indications are it doesn't last long either. Plan to relube after every ride or every other ride, or just use Squirt by itself or in combination with the Dupont lubes.