Thread: Changing Pedals

AndesJack
    Nov 2009

Changing Pedals

I am replacing a pair of C-Bro’s Smarty pedals with a pair of Shimano M545’s.
    The Smarties don’t have a wrench option when loosening them. I got the one on the right side off using an allen-key 6mm. I broke this allen-key on the left one, bought a new 6mm and bent it in a way that it serves no purpose. I am sure I got the direction right by turning it clock wise (left pedal) as the other one was anti-clock wise (right pedal which came off). The pedals have been on the bike since I got it late October ‘09 around 6 rides ago. I am not a mechanic by any stretch of the imagination but surely pedals shouldn’t be such a pain in the a… I used a lube spray (Q20) on the pedal but this had a zero effect. Any assistance/guidance in this regard will be greatly appreciated.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    My guess is you're still turning it the wrong way. It's easy to get your directions mixed up switching from side to side.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Yeah, double check direction. It's easy to get crossed up between LH thread and accessing the back side of the pedal.

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    Left pedal turns clockwise when looking a the pedal from the left side of the bike. Easy to remember: when standing at the rear of the bike, the pedal wrenches always turn down to loosen. Hope that makes sense.

AndesJack
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Jake21
    Left pedal turns clockwise when looking a the pedal from the left side of the bike. Easy to remember: when standing at the rear of the bike, the pedal wrenches always turn down to loosen. Hope that makes sense.
    Down towards the rear or down towards the front end of the bike? I assume its down to the rear but a confirmation of that fact will really get my hopes up, thanks for the comments.

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    Down towards the rear. Get a little leverage if it won't come off. Sometimes, a quick hit of the wrench with a hammer helps. See here for more pedal help. http://www.parktool.com/repair/readhowto.asp?id=83

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    An easy way I've found to explain it is that when you're putting pedals on, your tightening forces will turn the pedals forward; you can grab the rear brake and have something to tighten against. Taking them off, if you let go of everything the torque will turn the pedals backwards.

AndesJack
    Nov 2009
    Thanks for the replies and the link sent.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Jacques Pienaar
    Thanks for the replies and the link sent.
    If you really did have the direction right to start with, it may be that you're not torquing it enough. A metric hex bit set and a breaker bar, or even the ratcheting driver from your socket set, might be just the thing you need to get the pedal loose.

AndesJack
    Nov 2009
    Ok I returned from my LBS yesterday evening pretty livid. They tried with a torque wrench but that ended up in them stripping the "hole" and I am stuck with these pedals. Not too positive. Any one out there ever had a similar situation? I do not care about the current pedals I just want them off my bike. I was thinking of removing the left cranck-arm, putting the pedal (shaft part) in a vice, and loosening it that way. Any thoughts on how to get the pedal off even if it means destroying the pedal itself. Frustrated.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Ok I returned from my LBS yesterday evening pretty livid. They tried with a torque wrench but that ended up in them stripping the "hole" and I am stuck with these pedals. Not too positive. Any one out there ever had a similar situation? I do not care about the current pedals I just want them off my bike. I was thinking of removing the left cranck-arm, putting the pedal (shaft part) in a vice, and loosening it that way. Any thoughts on how to get the pedal off even if it means destroying the pedal itself. Frustrated.
    First off, it's your LBS' mess, make them get it off.

You idea of putting it in a vise is a good one, and probably the best you'll find.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    On a slightly different note, I realize you are going to the Shimano M545.
    I put them on my Big Sur several years ago when I got it.
    I liked them ok for cross country but when I started doing some more agressive riding I found I didn't care for them that much. They are easy to clip into and not too bad about getting out of them BUT if you want to ride without being clipped in they aren't so hot. The cage isn't grippy enough to keep your shoe from sliding off the pedal or into the clip. You end up clipped in when you don't want to be or you get wacked in the back of the leg by the pedal when you slip off in a steep climb.

The Crank Brother's Mallets are a better pedal for me as I can ride them clipped or unclipped and I don't slide around on them. I've got them on both the Big Sur now and my nearly new Kona Dawg.

Be sure you use antiseize on the pedal threads or at least a good grease so that you can get the pedals off the bike easier next time. When I bought the Dawg the OEM Shimano pedals were on so tight I had to take a hammer to the back of the pedal wrench to get them loose.

You might also try a penetrating oil like Kroil on the pedal you are trying to get loose.

mtbr member

First I would remove the pedal body so it's just the axle. There should be a cap on the end of the pedal you pop off and a nut under there to unscrew to get it off.

See if you can get a good grip on the axle with vice grips, or maybe you have to grind the axle down to there is a flat section on each side for a wrench or to clamp it on to a vice.

If you still can't get it broke loose it might be time to try heat/cold. If you could warm up the whole thing, and then suddenly cool the pedal axle that might help it break loose. I don't know the best approach to this though.

AndesJack
    Nov 2009
    Got a call back from the LBS AH's and they are willing to take a shot at it. Will report back. Will follow the advice of greasing the pedal part and see how the 545's run. Used to the XT SPD and thought of trying a little bigger pedal with same SPD type base, but the bike came with those nice green CB Smarties and pretty reflectors. SPD's just give me a more predictable feel than the CB's but first.....to get them off. Thanks for the replies.

AndesJack
    Nov 2009
    Took my bike to a different BShop, the mechanic there took a little primus gas burner, heated up the shaft part of the pedal and then the crank-arm. Wedged a tool into what was the remainder/left over of the hole damaged by the previous BShop and removed the pedal in under 5 minutes. Got the new pedals on and lovin it all the way.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Why isn't the shop that screwed it up to begin with replacing the pedals? Sounds to me like the least they can do.

Rabid Lana fan
    Glad you got it sorted out.

Back to the topic of "which way to spin the wrench", I always use a memory trick...BACK-OFF.

Assuming the wrench is put on to the pedal from the top, on both sides you will pull the wrench BACK (towards the back of the bike) to get the pedal OFF.
    rOCktoberfest 2015 pt I here
    rOCktoberfest 2015 pt II here

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Took my bike to a different BShop, the mechanic there took a little primus gas burner, heated up the shaft part of the pedal and then the crank-arm. Wedged a tool into what was the remainder/left over of the hole damaged by the previous BShop and removed the pedal in under 5 minutes. Got the new pedals on and lovin it all the way.
    Very nice, glad that's solved.

To make sure this doesn't happen next time, remember to grease the threads liberally when installing your new pedals, if you haven't already.

-J

XC Ground Pounder
    Quote Originally Posted by net wurker
    Glad you got it sorted out.

Back to the topic of "which way to spin the wrench", I always use a memory trick...BACK-OFF.

Assuming the wrench is put on to the pedal from the top, on both sides you will pull the wrench BACK (towards the back of the bike) to get the pedal OFF.
    Thats the best mnemonic I've seen for pedal removal so far. Bravo.
    Well, since they gave us a KHS forum, I guess I have to come up with something else for a sig.

Members who have read this thread: 0