mtbr member
    Jun 2012

Bonking ... not feelin' well Chainring Damage, what do I risk?

I run a Shimano SLX 3x10 setup. Apparently this happened at some point o_o

Do I need to replace my entire crankset? Can I replace just one chainring and expect even wear across my chain? I should expect rapid chain wear and possible skipping with this current damage right?

Looking for the cheapest course of action, I'm pretty broke but I care for my bike.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Ive ridden for months with rings like that. If you dont use your big ring to often then I wouldnt worry about it.

Yes you can replace that single ring. As for chain wear, well its all relative. The missing tooth wont exactly cause any more wear then if it were there. Just ride it, itll be fine.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    I will say don't worry about it...

Actually do you have a wider angle photo to see where the tooth is located in respect to the cranks..? basically you have two areas of "Power stroke" (where the crank is really pulling on the chain) and a part of the chainring that is under a lot less load...

mtbr member
    I wouldn't worry about it.

If it bothers you that much then just replace the big ring, no need to replace the others, assuming they're in good shape.

mtbr member
    You should see the big ring on my FS. It looks like snaggletooth. You'll be fine if you're like me and get into the big ring once every long while. If you strike yours fairly often and don't actually ride in big ring you may just want to drop to a bash guard setup once that big ring gets sufficiently chewed.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Cerberus044 View Post
    If you strike yours fairly often and don't actually ride in big ring you may just want to drop to a bash guard setup once that big ring gets sufficiently chewed.
    Agreed, that's what I did. Can't say I've ever missed my big ring since.

Class Clown
    In terms of chain wear I can go through a few chains and cassettes before the chainrings get worn down enough to need replacing, so I never really notice a difference between a new chain or worn chain on them. It's the cassette that will start skipping first if I let things get that bad.

I do use all 3 rings since I ride to and from the trails and do some street riding as well.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Thanks guy so much, I really appreciate it. I've been entertaining the idea of going with a bashguard for some time now actually and I think it may be a good choice.

My chainring setup is 42Ax32Ax24T, which I'm guessing means 42 tooth big ring and 32 tooth middle ring. Should I get a bash guard sized for 32T or one step higher? Will I be able to limit my shifter enough to keep my chain from screwing up were I to try and shift into my big ring? My crankset is the FC-M552, a "2-piece design". Will this cause me any problems in swapping out that big chainring for a bashguard?

mtbr member
    Get a 32T bash guard, unless you plan on going up a size or two on the middle ring. You'll be able to turn the H screw in on your FD to limit it from trying to shift into the big ring, but in reality even if you didn't all that happens is it pushes against the bash guard a little. Not a big deal. I don't have any experience with that crankset, but I don't see how it would cause any problems.