Thread: chain whips

Plays with tools

chain whips

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    looks good. have not broken any whips yet. have bent a few but just bend them back. i attach a magnet to the end of the chain on mine. use some heatshrink

mtbr member
    Looks good. I made one by pinning the chain onto the edge of some 1/8 steel. Looks like dog shat, but works.

Plays with tools
    Quote Originally Posted by reptilezs View Post
    looks good. have not broken any whips yet. have bent a few but just bend them back. i attach a magnet to the end of the chain on mine. use some heatshrink
    I've had whips with magnets on them before, honestly don't think it makes it any easier to use. As long as you have the tail over top dead center it's unnecessary.

Use heat shrink for what?

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    heat shrink to keep the magnet on.

Positively negative
    Mar 2010

Plays with tools
    Quote Originally Posted by big_papa_nuts View Post
    I've never understood what was wrong with the chain whip. The hyper handle isn't a bad tool, although it wont work with xx1. The vice whip just doesn't work for me. It needs to be adjusted for every cog. If you take the time to always use it on the same cog, assuming that even possible, its tollerable. Not an improvement IMPO. Plus the best lockring tool doesn't store in the handle.

Mine isnt free either.

Positively negative
    Mar 2010
    Chain whips are ok at best. Using one always seems like a three handed job and I bet everyone has busted their knuckles at least once.The Hyper-Handle is a must have IMO. And the vise whip is awesome for fixed gear cogs, knuckle saver for sure.

Don't get me wrong, I don't think chain whips are going anywhere, although I very rarely use one. The last time was on a Shimano Capreo if I remember correctly. But I will say that this is one of the best I have seen and one would be the one to get if your so inclined.

Or you could just make one .

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    There is a really old chain whip at the shop I work at that I absolutely adore... I think its a really old campy chain whip from sometime in the 70's-80's. Its only got one section of chain on it unlike new ones today, and a small circular disc on the end that sort of locks into the cassette. Never slipped it, even once.

Anyone know the chain whip I am referring to? Kinda curious as to what it is...

Plays with tools
    Quote Originally Posted by big_papa_nuts View Post
    Chain whips are ok at best. Using one always seems like a three handed job and I bet everyone has busted their knuckles at least once.The Hyper-Handle is a must have IMO. And the vise whip is awesome for fixed gear cogs, knuckle saver for sure.

Don't get me wrong, I don't think chain whips are going anywhere, although I very rarely use one. The last time was on a Shimano Capreo if I remember correctly. But I will say that this is one of the best I have seen and one would be the one to get if your so inclined.

Or you could just make one .
    If you think a chain whip is a three handed affair you apparently never learned how to use one.

The vice whip might work for fixed cogs at a little kids track meet. Not enough leverage for when your dealing with people that can actually generate power. Is it even spaced for 1/8 gears?

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    vise whip is spaced for multi speed cogs. vise whip never appealed to me

Plays with tools
    Quote Originally Posted by reptilezs View Post
    vise whip is spaced for multi speed cogs. vise whip never appealed to me
    We got one for the shop not long after they came out. I tired really hard to like it. A year and a half later when the shop went out of business that tool was one of the only ones that went to the liquidator.