mtbr member
    Jun 2007

Chain Whip - What did I do wrong

Last night I went to switch my XT Wheelset onto my new bike, having switched from 9sp to 10sp I needed to change over the cassette. The cassette locking ring was very tight and took a bit of effort to get off, but aaprt from that all went well.

So, after putting the wheel on the bike, there was some skipping which I thought was due to the RD requiring adjustment, tried everthing but it still skipped in the middle gears. Eventually I took a closer look and saw that one of the teeth on about the middle cog on the cassete was bent badly. A bit of srategic bashing with a hammer and it is now in line again and all is good.

What most likley did I do wrong, and how do I prevent this in the future. I assume my chain whip technique is at fault somehow.

Thanks,

Michael

mtbr member
    Make sure the chainwhip's chain sits on a single cog, and don't overtighten the locknut.

Tim

Get your freak on!
    Dec 2003
    Further to this, I find it helps to use the chainwhip on the smallest cog only (11t).

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bike_freak View Post
    Further to this, I find it helps to use the chainwhip on the smallest cog only (11t).
    I like to use it on the larger diameter ones, as theyre on a spider