mtbr member
    May 2011

Chain tool in lightweight multi tool?

I have a park mtb-3 rescue tool which I carry when I go on remote areas and on long rides but it's becoming too heavy and bulky to take on short weekend rides so I'm looking for a lightweight tool that can do most of common things I usually do. I've got a couple in my list but I'm wondering if I should get one with a chain tool. I never broke a chain in my life but who knows? Although, I probably wouldn't mind walking my bike...

I usually need a 2.5, 4 and 5mm hex and a T25 to adjust things while in the trail if that helps.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    check out this and others in the series

TopeakŪ Cycling Accessories ? Products - Mini 18+

Fat & Single
    I have a 7 year old Crank Bros 17, i thought i had lost it and bought a CB19, then found the CB17 again. I have both now and can nearly 100% say i would never buy anything else.

I cant say much about anything else crank bros makes but their multi tools are awesome !

Wouldn't say there were exactly lightweight, but i'd rather carry the extra few G's than be stuck on the trail.
    Ti O'Beast
    Indy Fab
    One9
    Dirty Disco CX

FBI tested, NSA approved!
    Quote Originally Posted by opiants View Post
    I have a park mtb-3 rescue tool which I carry when I go on remote areas and on long rides but it's becoming too heavy and bulky to take on short weekend rides so I'm looking for a lightweight tool that can do most of common things I usually do. I've got a couple in my list but I'm wondering if I should get one with a chain tool. I never broke a chain in my life but who knows? Although, I probably wouldn't mind walking my bike...

I usually need a 2.5, 4 and 5mm hex and a T25 to adjust things while in the trail if that helps.
    I carry both a Crank Bros multi tool and Park Ct-5C chain tool (and a few connecting pins) The Crank Bros chain tool is okay but the small gripping surfaces and short pin make breaking an XT 10-sp chain really tough. I suppose I could disassemble the park tool and remove the chain tool (and other things my bike doesn't need) but frankly it would make more sense to drop a pound from my waist than an ounce from my tool kit.

Trailhead Poseur
    Quote Originally Posted by MTRRON View Post
    check out this and others in the series

TopeakŪ Cycling Accessories ? Products - Mini 18+
    +1 I have a Mini 20, and just used the chain tool on someone else's bike a few weeks back.
    Speed solves all problems, except for those things it makes worse.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    I carry a Park Ct-5 for chains. It's light enough & although it's bulky is does a great job when your out in the sticks.
    I also have a Crank Bros multi 17 the chain tool is not bad (only used it at home) even with the small handle. I don't take it on the bike because I pack light on tools but always have a chain tool and now 9 & 10 speed pins.
    Only fixed my own chain once in 10 years but I've fixed friends and strangers chains nearly every year so I think it's important to carry.

mtbr member
    Here's what I put together. I've used this tool several times over the years.

Chain Tools.pdf

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Thanks for all the input. I bought one with the chain tool. It's fairly light - 100g and looks like it's fairly well built as well.

A separate chain tool isn't really an option when I put everything in my pocket in a short ride but thanks anyway.

Redcoat

Chain tool is a must!!! I have never broke a chain all my life till last month, it was cold and I was six miles out with no one there. Luckily I had my park 3 with me I was able to repair the chain and get back to the car. If I had to walk it would have took me hours and I have no doubts I would have been in serious trouble. The fact your chain has never broken means nothing. For a little extra weight it will be the most important you have. You can cycle to an extent with a flat but without a chain you are toast.Can you not just put it in a hydration pack??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    I have a crank brah 17 in a back country research tul bag. It works really nicely. The only thing I would buy from crank brah's is their multi-tools. I have yet to use the chain tool on the trail but use it when I need to break chains at home. I also carry a 9speed and 10 speed master link in the tul bag.

In the tul bag (jersey pocket) I carry...
    Crank Brah 17
    Presta chuck valve
    Park tire boot
    $10 bill (to boot tire, or in case I need emergency money)
    stick on tube patches
    9speed and 10 speed master links

I carry 2 20g C02's and 2 tire levers wrapped in gorilla tape in another jersey pocket

1 tube is strapped to the bike under the seat using an awesome strap

I dislike hydration packs

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Good thread my old topeak with chain tool has been really reliable and I have fixed multiple chains with it, this weekend though the pin (to push chain pin) just would stay put so I am looking for something else. Looks like CB 17 worth a look.

Was kind of addressed during this forum but how many of these do you all feel works well versus gets the job done I know that some of them look like it would be very hard to get a decent amount of leverage when pushing the pin in or out? Any thoughts?
    XC, Road, XXC, Endurance, Mtn, All-Mtn, Cross, Gravel, just go have fun on 2 wheels!

Warrior's Society
    I have used the chain tool in my Crank Bros Multi-17 many many times....works great, plus it is small and fits in the jersey pocket.
    I crashed hard enough on my Tallboy to break my leg,
    The carbon is way more durable than most people.

Fat & Single
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnbikej View Post
    I have used the chain tool in my Crank Bros Multi-17 many many times....works great, plus it is small and fits in the jersey pocket.
    Same here, many times on the trail... it even gets used as my workshop chain-breaker every time I fit a new chain.
    Ti O'Beast
    Indy Fab
    One9
    Dirty Disco CX

mtbr member
    Dumb question time as I have never broken a chain.....If I'm using a SRAM chain and have spare master links would I need to have a chain tool on me if my chain broke out on the trail?

Trailhead Poseur
    Quote Originally Posted by Mallet21 View Post
    Dumb question time as I have never broken a chain.....If I'm using a SRAM chain and have spare master links would I need to have a chain tool on me if my chain broke out on the trail?
    Usually yes, to at least remove the remains of the broken link.
    Speed solves all problems, except for those things it makes worse.

Fat & Single
    Quote Originally Posted by jjaguar View Post
    Usually yes, to at least remove the remains of the broken link.
    This^ bent plates, bent pins ect You need 2 clean links to fit a speedlink.

I only carry a small section of chain and dont carry a speedlink anymore, i use the chain tool to push out a pin and then push it back into place (SRAM) on a clean link, you would be surprised how good a job this does.

Might loose a gear or two but it gets me home everytime.
    Ti O'Beast
    Indy Fab
    One9
    Dirty Disco CX

mtbr member
    Apr 2012

Re: Chain tool in lightweight multi tool?

Quote Originally Posted by HEMIjer View Post
    Good thread my old topeak with chain tool has been really reliable and I have fixed multiple chains with it, this weekend though the pin (to push chain pin) just would stay put so I am looking for something else. Looks like CB 17 worth a look.

Was kind of addressed during this forum but how many of these do you all feel works well versus gets the job done I know that some of them look like it would be very hard to get a decent amount of leverage when pushing the pin in or out? Any thoughts?

My experience with every integrated chain tool I've used is that they all lack the kind of leverage that makes breaking a 10 speed chain somewhat enjoyable. That said, there's a big difference between enjoyable and functional. For the amount of times you may need to use it, they work... albeit with a bit of elbow grease.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by wschruba View Post
    My experience with every integrated chain tool I've used is that they all lack the kind of leverage that makes breaking a 10 speed chain somewhat enjoyable. That said, there's a big difference between enjoyable and functional. For the amount of times you may need to use it, they work... albeit with a bit of elbow grease.

That is exactly what i was worried but with my current topeak don't have that issue. I do carry allen wrench jsut for it though.

Anyways for now i fixed my exisitng one with superglue and it seems fine rather than buying another, hopefully I dont regret it and feel free to laugh!

jjaguar - To elaborate on other posts IMO good to have a chaintool and quick link (although can do without quick link), If you have jsut a chaintool DO NOT push the pin completley out, get it to the point where it is only in one outer plate and reconnect to a good inner link, sometimes getting everything back together take your your time and make sure everything is squared up as close as possible and chain is not binding or too tight. If you have a quick link just remove the bent outer link plates and connect 2 good inner links. Make sense? If I am doing any backcountry riding I carry a chain tool and qucik link also sometimes a 2-3 link section of chain just in case.
    XC, Road, XXC, Endurance, Mtn, All-Mtn, Cross, Gravel, just go have fun on 2 wheels!

DFMBA.org

Look at Lezyne stuff as well. I don't own one, but their engineering design looks pretty top notch. FWIW, the only time I've busted a chain is on a ride with a brand new bike. Whodathunkit?
    Please donate to IMBA or your local IMBA chapter. It's trail karma.

unrooted
    I have the Lezyne Rap 13:

It is simple, light and really well made! I have used the chain tool in my shop to shorten chains with no issues. It is small enough to fit in a jersey or shorts pocket without noticing and the steel they use seems like really high quality when compared to the newer park and topeak multi-tools.
    195 lbs-6'4" Banshee Prime XL
    Ride Mammoth, Tahoe & Vegas

PLEASE GIVE ME NEGATIVE REP!

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    The trail is not the time or place to be the first attempt at bike repair unless you are a women then I will do it for you. I came across a guy trying to use his chain tool on his lite weight multi tool. He did not have the strength in his fingers to brake the chain. Make sure you can use the tool, I have used a rock to remove a chain but I don't recommend it.

turtles make me hot
    The chain tool on my Topeak Ratchet Rocket is great.
    I like turtles

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    I have the Specialized Headset chain tool, have had to use it and must say works really well. It also has the ability to hold a spare link under the cap that is held in place via magnets, so it won't fall out by accident. You also need an allen key to undo the tool and then is used to drive the pulley pins out of the chain, no buggy if you are already carrying a small multi tool

Chain tool in lightweight multi tool?-swat-top-cap-chain-tool-600x461.jpg