mtbr member
    Apr 2007

Chain Tool: $18 vs $6 ???

Is there a difference between an $18 Parktools chain tool and a $6 Spin Doctor Universal chain tool?

http://www.performancebike.com/shop/...tegory_ID=4204

Thanks

Lionel Hutz, Esq.
    If you're talking about the larger Park chain tool, yes, there's a difference. The black Park chain tool is bigger and it's easier to turn than a mini tool. But, I would assume they'll both work. If you're talking about the Park mini chain tool, nah, not much difference.
    2007 Trek Fuel EX 8
    1999 Trek 7000 --- Dragonfly Green = Sexy
    2002 Trek 2100
    2008 Felt New Belgium Cruiser

Former Bike Wrench
    the Park won't break when your installing a chain right before a big ride...the Spin Doctor might not break when your installing a chain right before a big ride.

Buy the Park (or a Shimano CN-23) if you don't want to ever buy another chain tool...the Spin Doctor, like all cheap chain tools, has a limited use life.

Wax
    mtbr member
    spend the big bucks, you'll be happier in the long run.
    I've "mushroomed" a few cheaper chain tools. Not cool when you really need chain work done ASAP!

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Oh sorry, I was talking about the smaller chain tool. A comparable one to the Spin Doc one.

Im looking for a tool to carry with me and don't want to lug around the larger Park Tools one.

Thx

Former Bike Wrench
    Same advice...you don't want a cheap chain tool failing out on the trail

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by tygger
    Is there a difference between an $18 Parktools chain tool and a $6 Spin Doctor Universal chain tool?

Thanks
    I've gone through a couple of the cheapo tools over the years, but the ct-5 keeps going & until recently it was my go-to tool for all chain work. my wife bought me the big park tool for my tool box, so the ct-5 can stay in the pack now.
    [SIZE=1][/SIZE]

mtbr member
    My general rule..

I'm not rich enough to buy cheap tools (and buy the better one down the road anyways...) Buy the Parl tool, you won't regret it.

A wheelist
    Chaintools are not the place to cheap-cheap. A broken chain ten miles from the car and a broken chaintool can be serious stuff.

I'd suggest this - get the Park CT-3 for home use and the Park CT-5 for taking on rides plus SRAM PowerLinks or Shimano pins depending on your chain.

Those two tools will last you a lifetime.
    Mike The Bike's home wheelbuilding info - dedicated to providing Newby wheelbuilder information and motivation.

5,280 feet
    A little off topic...

What do you guys think of this guy? I'm looking for one to put in my Camelbak. Thanks!

My girlfriend recently told me that I have a one-track mind.
    I corrected her and said, "Actually, honey, the term is single track."

A wheelist
    Quote Originally Posted by Screamin
    A little off topic...
    What do you guys think of this guy? I'm looking for one to put in my Camelbak. Thanks!
    It's probably great. I carry the Park CT-5, it's $5 cheaper, a proven performer and hardly any bigger. Mine is in my jersey pocket.
    Mike The Bike's home wheelbuilding info - dedicated to providing Newby wheelbuilder information and motivation.

Yo.

Big fan of the CT-6.

A little off topic...

It's a little heavier than the CT-5, but the form factor when closed is actually smaller, and the handles are much more ergonomic and comfortable when putting serious torque through them.
    Quote Originally Posted by JonathanGennick View Post
    I am a poser. But forums.poser.com doesn't seem to exist, so I come here instead.

Cheezy Rider

What do you guys think of this guy? I'm looking for one to put in my Camelbak. [/url]
    I use a Crank Bros multi-tool with a built-in chain breaker. It works great, a bit small, of course, but very sturdy. Only costs a couple bucks more than the Park, and easy to fint in a pack or pocket. I'd buy the Park if I was breaking chains all the time, but for the few times I use it the multi-tool works fine.

mtbr member
    Few cheap ones always cost more then one of good quality.