AndesJack
    Nov 2009

New question here. Chain Guide Set Installation

Can any one shed some light on chain guide installation and advice on which one to get. Want to swop out the 44T ring on my Stylo Cranks but need some advice as I haven't done this before and wouldn't like stuffin this up.

g3h6o3
    Well, we need to know what frame you have and if you're running a single or double ring setup.
    Check out my SportTracks plugins for some training aid software.

AndesJack
    Nov 2009
    Got a 09 Norco Fluid LT2, would like to keep the double ring

g3h6o3
    Ok so then you'll need a 2 ring guide. There are many offerings. Some come with a bash, some have a upper guide, others not, they vary in price and weight. Basically they're all the same thing with slight variations.

One thing you want to look out for is BB mounted ISCG tabs. If I'm not mistaken you don't have ISCG tabs of your frame so you'll need BB mounted tabs, it is called ISCG-OLD. Also make sure it fits you mid-ring size (32T I guess)

Some offerings that should suit you :

From E13 :
    DRS
    DSS
    DS (no bash)

From Blackspire :
    Dewlie (offered in multiple colors)
    DewLite
    Stinger

From MRP :
    LRP Party Crasher

From Gamut :
    Dual Ring

As you can see they're all similar! If you ask me I'd go with Blackspire. They make very good products and are the only ones with an upper guide which will hold your chain better. Dewlie C4 (or DewLite if weight is a concern) would be my choice.
    Check out my SportTracks plugins for some training aid software.

AndesJack
    Nov 2009
    Thanks for the detailed info received. Can now go ahead with the newly acquired knowledge and get it on. thanks for the product advice as well.

Former Ninja
    Jul 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by PissedOffCil
    ...and are the only ones with an upper guide which will hold your chain better.
    The Front Derailleur holds your chain on the top of your ring. As long as you have it adjusted anywhere around where it should be, there should be no need for another top guide piece, it is just extra weight.

The Fluid would fit either the DRS or DSS just fine, the Stylo cranks are set up so that you can run an e-type setup with a 73mm shell no problem (older models didn't have a long enough spindle...pre 2007).

What a lot of people end up doing is upping their middle ring to a 34T or 36T, so that you have a little higher gearing for the flats or charging hills. The DRS/DSS are up to a 36T max, and both systems are extremely light due to the Turbocharger bashguard design.

Food for thought.

Cheers,
    philip @ e*thirteen