mtbr member
    May 2007

Cassette ring tool bottoming out on center lock.

I have an XT center lock rear hub with a DT swiss cl->6-bolt adapter. When I try to use the cassette ring tool, it bottoms out on the axle before it can even touch the lock ring.

I thought maybe I just have an old cassette tool and maybe the newer ones are more recessed. Tried my friend's newer cassette tool with the same results.

Is there a special center lock tool, or am I just going to have to go around with the wheel to see if someone has a tool that will fit?

Has anyone else run into this?

PCC
    mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Are you using the Park tool with the centrally mounted stud that is used to center the tool using the hollow axle?

I have an older Park tool that was originally a Shimano freewheel removal tool. It uses the same splines as the lockring tools but is completely hollow and the splines are three times deeper than the lockring tool. I don't know if this is still available these days, though.

PCC
    mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Well, I decided to get up off my rear and grab the two tools that I mentioned before. Turns out that the older cassette tool is an actual Shimano part, not a Park Tools part. Shimano part number TL-FW30. The Park Tools part number is FR-5G. It actually appears that the splines are deeper and reach further on the Park tool than the Shimano tool so the chance of stripping the lockring is reduced with the newer tools. Both tools have a shoulder inside that limits how far it can reach when the shoulder hits the locking nuts.
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    I have had the exact same hub/DT adapter problem that you have, and can confirm that the FW30 will work for what you need it to.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by PCC
    Well, I decided to get up off my rear and grab the two tools that I mentioned before. Turns out that the older cassette tool is an actual Shimano part, not a Park Tools part. Shimano part number TL-FW30. The Park Tools part number is FR-5G. It actually appears that the splines are deeper and reach further on the Park tool than the Shimano tool so the chance of stripping the lockring is reduced with the newer tools. Both tools have a shoulder inside that limits how far it can reach when the shoulder hits the locking nuts.
    Is the shoulder inside the same depth on both tools? The shoulder is what is preventing the splines from reaching the lock ring.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Goatse
    I have had the exact same hub/DT adapter problem that you have, and can confirm that the FW30 will work for what you need it to.
    Oh, you rock!!!

mtbr member
    May 2007
    It's in Shimano's FAQ - http://bike.shimano.com/publish/cont...tb_faq_s.html#

What tool do I use to remove my Center Lock brake rotors?
    You can use any Shimano compatible cassette lock ring tool, preferably Shimano tool numbers TL-LR10 or TL-LR15. Keep in mind that SAINT rotors and hubs use a special oversized lock ring tool, model TL-LR20.

The new 20mm thru-axle hubs offered in XTR and XT use tool numbers TL-FC32/33/36 (the same tools used for Hollowtech II bottom brackets).