k_z
    mtbr member
    Jul 2012

Cassette removal tool that clears 10 mm thru axle caps

Need some help - built myself brand new wheel with Hope 2 pro evo hub configured for 10mm thru axle (plan to use DT RWS skewer ). Where I ended up in trouble is when started to install cassette - tool I've been using for last 10 years does not clear then end cap, do I can't torque the lock ring properly (just got couple of threads) nor I cam remove it now - ID of the tool is bit too small. Anybody knows a tool that is going to work here ?

Tried to remove the end cap from the hub but note it doesn't clear the lockring....

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk 4

Xtreme Lounger
    I just use the standard Park FR-5. Works fine on my DT Swiss 240s hub with 10mm RWS caps.

Elitest thrill junkie
    I think I've used that on every bike I've ever owned, including 3 with 12mm rear thru-axles.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

k_z
    mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Thanks, will go get one from LBS. No clue what mine was but not a Park Tool.

Trail Tire TV on blogger
    ya, the park is fine, but the Hope hub you can just pop the end cap out and install the cassette with your existing then pop the end cap back it... no new tool needed.
    Going to try and bring Trail Tire TV back. go take a look... http://trailtiretv.blogspot.com/

k_z
    mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by thomllama View Post
    ya, the park is fine, but the Hope hub you can just pop the end cap out and install the cassette with your existing then pop the end cap back it... no new tool needed.
    Tried that - with lock ring somewhat installed - could not get the end cap through the lock ring - should it easily go through it ?

Trail Tire TV on blogger
    Quote Originally Posted by k_z View Post
    Tried that - with lock ring somewhat installed - could not get the end cap through the lock ring - should it easily go through it ?
    oh,.. ya,.. didn't think of that :/
    Going to try and bring Trail Tire TV back. go take a look... http://trailtiretv.blogspot.com/

k_z
    mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Thank you everybody I bought park tool fr 5, installed lock ring and went riding today

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    Hi,
    I just used the FR5g tool for removal and installation of the cassette. Removal was easy using the chain whip and the fR5g tool. Installation was also easy just using the FR5g, except for one question. As I applied more force, I kept hearing, as expected, the soft crunching noise of the cassette rings tightening together. I expected that. OK, but how much force is enough? I sorta stopped when it felt about right. Is there a torque spec on the force needed to install the cassette? My FR5g (Spin Doctor) does have a 1/2 drive socket that I can use my torque wrench on. Any comment?
    Thanks,
    Ernie

Plays with tools
    The Crombie tool I use will clear anything, including the skewer. Other removers will work for the 10mm thru bolt like others have said, but there are some other interference issues on random hubs where my tool works where very few will.