Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member

Cable tip protection: what do you use?

I used to solder the tips of my cables, but lately I've just been too lazy to do that and I don't know how well it would work (if at all) on my teflon coated cables. So I'm just using standard crimp-on alloy tips (ano'd though ). Hate how they can fray the cable tip after removed, but they work, and usually the only time I have them off is to replace a cable anyway. I've also heard of people super gluing their cable tips, which interests me because it's easier than soldering and will work on teflon coated cables.

What do you guys do to keep your cables from fraying?

mtbr member
    I've used old spoke nipples, the alloy ones are exceptionally easy to crimp.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    I use heat shrink tubing and you can slide it on and off if needed.

the catalan connection
    I use the standard alloy tips that come with the cable sets or that I get at the LBS. I just donīt crimp them too hard so the cable doesnīt get frayed. If that happens anyway, I always leave enough cable so I can re-cut for fresh ends if needed.
    "Blessed is the man who, having nothing to say, abstains from giving us wordly evidence of the fact." George Elliot

Drinkin' the 29er KoolAid
    Quote Originally Posted by dlennard View Post
    +1

I use a hair dryer to shrink the tubing since I don't have a proper heat gun... works fine, just takes longer.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    I have used epoxy.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    At my own shop we used to cut them with a Oxi-torch, they got cut and also "cauterize" at the same time with out the need for cable ends.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    super glue and cable end

GO BLUE!!
    Duct tape, paper clip, chewing tobacco, Iguana spit and a skewered snail. Works like a charm.

I have used solder, shrink tube and the crimps and they all work.
    I always wanted a Wookie, but I found out they weren't real.
    (Thanks for nothing, George Lucas.)

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dlennard View Post
    I've done that too. The only problem I had is that it came off while riding pretty easily. Maybe I needed smaller heat shrink?

mtbr member
    Normally just use standard cable ends but have also used super glue on a few bikes.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by kwarwick View Post
    +1

I use a hair dryer to shrink the tubing since I don't have a proper heat gun... works fine, just takes longer.
    you can also use a lighter.

Trail Tire TV on blogger
    super glue is all I use these days.. if it's good and thin (not the gel type) it'll wick right in the end. I actually just had a trail snake twist the crap out of my derailleur and wasted the cable.. went into my box of scraps and pulled out an old cable and a small piece of housing.. it was nice to have the cable not un twist when threading thru the housings... no cutting, crimping or other issues.

I actually find the area the clamp hits now and throw some on there,.. helps keep it from squishing out.. kinda drip it on then take a rag and rub it up and down a few inches above and below the clamp area.. works like a charm!
    Going to try and bring Trail Tire TV back. go take a look... http://trailtiretv.blogspot.com/

Plays with tools
    I use the alloy end crimps and smash them flat with my Knipex adjustable pliers. They tend to stay put as long as the cable lasts. Maybe it's just me but If I'm taking them off their next stop is the stainless scrap bin.

Trail Tire TV on blogger
    Quote Originally Posted by customfab View Post
    I use the alloy end crimps and smash them flat with my Knipex adjustable pliers. They tend to stay put as long as the cable lasts. Maybe it's just me but If I'm taking them off their next stop is the stainless scrap bin.
    guessing you don't have trail snakes taking out derailleur hangers where you are LOL

I don't carry cable cutters on the trail.. so when this happens it's nice to be able to just undo the clamp and pull everything off.

Going to try and bring Trail Tire TV back. go take a look... http://trailtiretv.blogspot.com/

Plays with tools
    Quote Originally Posted by thomllama View Post
    guessing you don't have trail snakes taking out derailleur hangers where you are LOL

I don't carry cable cutters on the trail.. so when this happens it's nice to be able to just undo the clamp and pull everything off.
    The end crimps aren't on so tight that you couldn't get them off trailside if you pulled on the derailleur/brake hard enough. One sharp tug will pop them loose.

Trail Tire TV on blogger
    The end crimps aren't on so tight that you couldn't get them off trailside if you pulled on the derailleur/brake hard enough. One sharp tug will pop them loose.
    ya, but they screw up the end, flatten, unravel, just plan distort it.. Slap a new hanger in and off I go (of coarse that time I din't have my seat bag on which is where I keep the hanger.. or used to) with a tip on you're pulling it off, and you need to carry some pliers or risk more damage to cable routing trying to yack it off jammed agains the stop. then if the housings kinked or something and you need to straighten it all out you can't get the cable back in because it's distorted.. bla bla bla.. crazy glue is just simply easier and better..

seriously try it.. once you see how well it works you wont bother with the end crimps

Plays with tools
    ya, but they screw up the end, flatten, unravel, just plan distort it.. Slap a new hanger in and off I go (of coarse that time I din't have my seat bag on which is where I keep the hanger.. or used to) with a tip on you're pulling it off, and you need to carry some pliers or risk more damage to cable routing trying to yack it off jammed agains the stop. then if the housings kinked or something and you need to straighten it all out you can't get the cable back in because it's distorted.. bla bla bla.. crazy glue is just simply easier and better..

seriously try it.. once you see how well it works you wont bother with the end crimps
    Cable crimps are more of a convenience than a hassle, you can keep huffing glue though. I'm pretty content with them. I also don't own a bike with a replaceable hanger.

Trail Tire TV on blogger
    Cable crimps are more of a convenience than a hassle, you can keep huffing glue though. I'm pretty content with them. I also don't own a bike with a replaceable hanger.
    ummm holding the thing.. crimping it.. dealing with it... if that's a convenience for ya.. well all the more power to ya.

Just so ya know.. it happens to steel frames too.. matter of fact.. today ...

Plays with tools
    ummm holding the thing.. crimping it.. dealing with it... if that's a convenience for ya.. well all the more power to ya.

Just so ya know.. it happens to steel frames too.. matter of fact.. today ...
    You sure are hung up on ripping derailleurs off. In the rare chance that happens it's time for damage control. Get the damaged parts off and turn it into a single speed and get back home. The risk of damaging the cable (which won't happen if you pull on it in a straight line) which is a consumable is of little concern. And if crimping a cable tip on is a PITA I can't imagine what you think of doing anything of real mechanical nature is.

I tried the super glue on a cable this afternoon just to see what your on about, I don't see why you're so hung up on it.

Trail Tire TV on blogger
    You sure are hung up on ripping derailleurs off. In the rare chance that happens it's time for damage control. Get the damaged parts off and turn it into a single speed and get back home. The risk of damaging the cable (which won't happen if you pull on it in a straight line) which is a consumable is of little concern. And if crimping a cable tip on is a PITA I can't imagine what you think of doing anything of real mechanical nature is.

I tried the super glue on a cable this afternoon just to see what your on about, I don't see why you're so hung up on it.
    it's not damaging the cable.. it's getting the derailleur off to make it a SS.. why be yanking and tugging when you don't need to?

the glue makes running new cables much easier as it wont unwind if you happen to not get a end perfect the first run and it jams.. still jams but you pull it back, clean the housing and go again.. not deal with a bend/unwound wire...

I also regularly pull the cables and clean/inspect them.. again no fiddling with cable ends... just unclamp,.. clean off exposed area and pull it back and thru, and after it slides right back in.. now unwinding, no kinks.. just easier and makes better sense.

Plays with tools
    it's not damaging the cable.. it's getting the derailleur off to make it a SS.. why be yanking and tugging when you don't need to?

the glue makes running new cables much easier as it wont unwind if you happen to not get a end perfect the first run and it jams.. still jams but you pull it back, clean the housing and go again.. not deal with a bend/unwound wire...

I also regularly pull the cables and clean/inspect them.. again no fiddling with cable ends... just unclamp,.. clean off exposed area and pull it back and thru, and after it slides right back in.. now unwinding, no kinks.. just easier and makes better sense.
    Is one swift tug in a rare situation that big of a deal?

I gather that you replace your cables and re-use your housing? Horrible horrible waste of time. You think that the stainless steel cable is going to wear out before the PTFE liner in the housing, no way, ever. Furthermore the need to inspect cables is unjustified. If they don't shift well they need to be replaced (cables and housing). Cleaning them out with compressed air or a river of lube might buy you some time but it's a stop gap. I'm starting to gather that your less than optimal maintenance practices are the reason you love the super glue.

As always my mechanical advice is geared towards chasing the last 5% of mechanical perfection. What's good for me is overkill for many. On the flip side what might work for many of you is just flat out unacceptable for me.

mtbr member
    Let's take a step back and get on track again. This thread's purpose is to find out what mtbr users are doing and why it works for them. A lot of stuff doesn't ever seem to live up to your extremely high standards, customfab, but that doesn't make it right to insult somebody over how they keep their cable tips from fraying. If it works, it works and if somebody gains something from this thread I'll be happy.

Anybody else have another method to protect their cables?

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    If one crimps the aluminum end cap from one side with flat nosed pliers just in from the shoulder, if it has one, the cable stays perfectly round. Just don't crimp the whole thing like a wire terminal.
    lean forward

mtbr member
    I usually do 3 light crimps with a pair of dykes. Every now and then you get a cable that has a couple strands unravel a couple turns when you take the crimp off. From working in a shop, I've seen some pretty nasty cable ends!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast