SANCTUS

cable housing cutter?

I find what works best for me is a Dremel tool with a cut off wheel with a piece of old cable to retain the shape.Whadaya think?

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Thanks for the tip!
    i'm gonna try a cordless drill and a cut off wheel though, cause the "Dremel" type tool I got from Harbor Freight Tools ($6.99 w/coupon) isn't strong enough to cut toilet paper. I tried to use it to open up the top tube top mounted cable stops (and thus prolly voided my warranty), and ended up using a small round file instead.At least now i'll be able to use the attachments after reading your thread. (I'm trying to use full-length housing. Sounds like you're hooking up your ride.
    roccowt.
    rocnbikemeld

Retired User
    I use a Dremel as well, only because I already own one. That being said, I kinda wish I never bought a Dremel. It's an awfully expensive tool with expensive bits, that really has very few uses (cutting cable housings and giving the dog a pedicure. )

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    End Cutter pliers cut through housing like butta...

follow-up with a tool scribe to "circulate" the housing..tried and trued.

mtbr member
    I just use a cable cutter from Pedro and use a pick to open up the end.

Plays with tools
    When it comes to cutting cables/housing there are Felco's and everything else.

mtbr member
    cordless drill is probably not fast enough (RPM), though that cheapo rotary tool with a decent cutoff wheel should work fine.

I find using the felco tool takes more time to clean up that little bent piece of the spiral wound housing with a file than the dremel tool w/ reinforced cutoff wheel.
    [SIZE=1][/SIZE]

LightJunction.com
    Nice. That's not a bad idea at all. I've been using the traditional housing cutters, but I always hate how they crimp the liner. I'll have to try that out.
    We sell quality bike headlights and flashlights.
    www.LightJunction.com

Plays with tools
    Quote Originally Posted by logbiter View Post
    cordless drill is probably not fast enough (RPM), though that cheapo rotary tool with a decent cutoff wheel should work fine.

I find using the felco tool takes more time to clean up that little bent piece of the spiral wound housing with a file than the dremel tool w/ reinforced cutoff wheel.
    Trying to file that last chunk of brake housing is a waste of time. Clip it with a pair of normal dykes so that the inner liner is the longest part of the housing and your good to go. You could hit them on a grinder or sander but I've always had problems with that melting the inner plastic liner.

SANCTUS
    With a little practice I am able to get good results, I got tired of dealing with the jagged ends that usually resulted from my expensive cable cutter.The trick is to make a fast cut as to not melt the housing

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Jagwire makes a nice set of tools for cable work.......

mtbr member
    I've read mixed reviews, but I get plenty of clean cuts on Kevlar reinforced wire from my park tool Cn-10 cable cutters.

Noob
    Jan 2012
    The Park is good.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Park is pretty good when new...maybe dare I say cleaner than the felco's for a while (Parks haves a shallower blade angle, sharper but faster wearing). Ten years later the felco's are nearly as good as the day you bought them and the parks were buried ages ago. Shimano and Pedros work as well.

Felco > Park >= Pedros > Shamano

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    You dont need bike specific tool for cable housing a set of sheet metal sheers will slice right through it with no crimping

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by BertoManfred View Post
    You dont need bike specific tool for cable housing a set of sheet metal sheers will slice right through it with no crimping
    No they wont. Even high end metal shears like Klenks will crimp the cable. Ive tried. Bite the bullet and buy cable cutters. Knipex make a good one as well as Felco.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by slipfitting 2 View Post
    No they wont. Even high end metal shears like Klenks will crimp the cable. Ive tried. Bite the bullet and buy cable cutters. Knipex make a good one as well as Felco.
    Not only did i use them for cutting cables twice but they were rusty and seized, yes i agree a specific tool for the job is nice but lets face it cable cutters do t need to be bike oriented brands, just like the people that pay 70 dollars for full fingered bontrager gloves when the fox equivalents are 20 bucks....... You also when cutting cables, hoses, wires have to know how to properly use the tools. And no i didnt buy the sheet metal sheers to cut derailleur cables thats just what i had laying around

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    I, like a lot of people here use diagonal cutters. For the inner lining, I use a thumb tack with a little plastic holder on the end. It seems to be the perfect size to get in and open the end up.

Ian

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I use wire cutters and stick sume cable in to the housing so that the housing wont compress. It works pretty well with no issues for me.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by NW_Rider View Post
    Park is pretty good when new...maybe dare I say cleaner than the felco's for a while (Parks haves a shallower blade angle, sharper but faster wearing). Ten years later the felco's are nearly as good as the day you bought them and the parks were buried ages ago. Shimano and Pedros work as well.

Felco > Park >= Pedros > Shamano
    Which Felco model do you use?

urmb
    “Nothing compares to the simple pleasure of riding a bike.” ~ John F. Kennedy

Plays with tools
    Quote Originally Posted by urmb View Post
    Which Felco model do you use?

urmb
    The C7 is the go to for bike use.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by customfab View Post
    When it comes to cutting cables/housing there are Felco's and everything else.
    You beat me to it! I'm not sure what they cost these days but unless you have a shop (and maybe even if you do) they will outlast you, and cut perfectly every time.

Plays with tools
    Quote Originally Posted by J.B. Weld View Post
    You beat me to it! I'm not sure what they cost these days but unless you have a shop (and maybe even if you do) they will outlast you, and cut perfectly every time.
    Mine are 15 years of professional use and still cutting strong. I kind of want a set of the Knipex that were posted though. I've got a few pair of their dykes and another set of channel lock-esque pliers that are all awesome tools.