Thread: box bike build

mtbr member
    Jun 2011

box bike build

I got a fairly good dead on nashbars steel cyclocross bike. Ive heard that they dont assemble their bike very well, and I was wondering if you all would be able to give me some suggestions on what to specifically look for. i have never built up a bike before but am fairly mechanically inclined. So a tool suggestion would be nice also. I have a reputable mechanic friend who I can consult if i run into problems.

thank you for your time and help.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    boxed bikes are fairly simple. they are 80% assembled but not tuned. you need to adjust the hubs, wheels trued and tension checked. headset, brakes, derailers and grease a few things like the post, pedals and some hardware. figure 50-100 for a shop to do the work if you can't

mtbr member

Smile

I would assume nothing about the workmanship of the assembler and take EVERYTHING apart. this is what I do with a new boxed bike as per the Barnet's manual:

1. remove cranks
    2. remove bottom bracket, clean BB interface, re-install BB with Loctite 242 (seals well for long-term, does not come loose on its own, loosens up when you ask it nicely), torque BB cups to manufacturers' specs- usually about 30 foot-pounds.
    3. re-install cranks. no grease on ST interfaces!
    4. adjust hubs. they are usually too tight.
    5. tension and true wheels. wheels are almost always under-tensioned and out of true when new. stress the spokes to eliminate wind-up and bed the spokes into their proper crossings.
    6. adjust shifting, brakes, headset, etc. none of these things are ever correct right out of the box, from any bike brand. use a torque wrench on everything!